Applied Bank & Merrick Charge off/re-aging?

jkw1234

I have 2 charged off accounts, Merrick and Applied Bank, with dates of last activity of 01/2008 in CA. They are ready to fall off my reports, right? I requested verification from both these banks. Both of them came back at me with no verification and stated that I could settle $700 for a delete by December 15 or they would turn these accounts over to a collection agency. They both stated these could remain on my credit reports for 7 1/2 to 11 years. Is this correct? Does this mean a re-aging of these accounts because I requested documentation? I want these accounts off my reports. Any crazy letters I can use?

They both stated these could remain on my credit reports for 7 1/2 to 11 years. Is this correct?

It is 50% correct.  It can remain on your report for 7 1/2 years from the DOFD (1/2008) but most of the bureaus delete at 7 years to avoid a problem.  

There is NO way those trade lines would stay for 11 years even if you filed bankruptcy.  That part is false.

Does this mean a re-aging of these accounts because I requested documentation? 

No.  Unless you see the account reporting different dates of default it isn't re-aging.  it is making a false claim of an action they cannot take:  reporting after the SOL for reporting has expired.  However, they can try to report it and even their CA can, but the bureaus will not report after the time has expired to avoid a FCRA violation.

I want these accounts off my reports. Any crazy letters I can use?

Simply send a short written letter to all 3 bureaus disputing the debt as obsolete.  Many will delete them when they are this close to drop off anyway.  DO NOT use "crazy" as that solves nothing and simply makes the dispute appear frivolous.  Also DO NOT under any circumstance use a letter cut and pasted from the internet.

ALL you need to state is:

Dear Credit Bureau:

I am writing to dispute this account:

Humpty Dumpty Bank

Anytown, USA

Account Number

Amount

I believe this debt to be obsolete.

Sincerely,

Consumer

• Like 1