babydanid

Medical Debt Validation Questions

I pulled my credit reports earlier this month and was surprised to find 10 medical debts in collections. These collections were not there a year ago. I had not received a single notice in the mail or phone call, despite having the exact same phone number and address for over 20 years. I sent a letter requesting validation to the four separate CAs handling them. So far, only one has responded and the letter simply stated the amount due on each account on their files, the same abbreviated name of the OC I found on my credit report, and an offer to pay 75% of the debt with removal from my credit report. I fear the other CAs will just send me the same non-info.

The debts are listed as being between 9 months and 5 years old and they are between $75 and $205 (except two for $1,082 that appear to be the same exact entry added twice on my TransUnion report). I have no way to know if they're actually mine based on the little information that my credit report gives me. I'm assuming because of medical privacy rules, they can't list the full name of the OC on the credit report, but can't they give me the OC's full name and contact information if I request it?

I took the effort to contact every doctor, lab, pharmacy, and hospital I know I went to in the past few years, but all of them say I have no balance due and nothing was ever sent to collections. The credit report listed the OCs as MED1 Biscayne Assc, MED1 SoFla Med, and MED1 Sheridan Pri. As you can see, nothing I could easily find who the OC is without cold calling at least half the medical providers in my area and asking if I owe them money.

I'm now at a loss on what to do next. All I need is the full info for the OCs and a date of service to see if it's really my debt. My insurance company even said they'd pay anything with a service date within the last 3 years if I can provide the OC with my insurance information.

What can I do next to get the information I need? They want me to just blindly pay out of pocket. I want these off my report, but I'm only going to pay if they are mine.

The have not fully validated.  The only information they are required to provide as part of validation is the name and address of the provider along with the amount they allege you owe.  However, because they provided a redacted provider name and no contact information they have not validated.

I would send another letter clearly stating that after reviewing your records with your insurance carrier and your providers all say you have no balance with them.  I would request the FULL name and address of the provider that is alleging you owe a debt to them so that you may contact them to verify this care.  I would state that I suspect either an error in billing or ID theft and this must be verified.  

Once you have the information you need then contact the providers and find out the details of date of service and if they believe you are the patient.  If it is not your debt then demand they get their CA to delete the trade lines immediately or file suit.  If it IS your debt then I would negotiate pay for delete with the provider NOT their CA.

Once you know some of the details post back and I can help you with the next steps.   Under NO circumstances should you use a cut and paste DV letter off this site or the internet they are riddled with errors.

I would dispute them with the CRAs.  Especailly the one that appears to be listed twice.  Dispute that one seperately and tell the CRA that the same account is reported twice.  They should delete at least one of them.

I would only dispute 2 -3 accounts at a time, not all at once.  Just dispute as "not my account".  You may find that some of them will be removed. Others may stay, and then you can deal with those more in depth.

I would dispute them with the CRAs.  Especailly the one that appears to be listed twice.  Dispute that one seperately and tell the CRA that the same account is reported twice.  They should delete at least one of them.

I would only dispute 2 -3 accounts at a time, not all at once.  Just dispute as "not my account".  You may find that some of them will be removed. Others may stay, and then you can deal with those more in depth.

Not necessarily.  You have been doing this long enough to know that it is possible for one account to have more than one trade line.  If the first CA was taken off the account because the provider no longer works with them they are not required to delete the trade line only to show a zero balance and closed.  The new CA is free to report their own trade line.  HOW these duplicate accounts are reporting and by whom matters greatly.

What you are proposing could take far longer and make what I suggested harder to accomplish.  By getting full information on who the provider is and finding out if this is even their account it could be gone in less than 14 days.  Your method could take months given that the CRAs will use E-Oscar and it could be rubber stamped valid since DV was already started with the CA.

Not necessarily.  You have been doing this long enough to know that it is possible for one account to have more than one trade line.  If the first CA was taken off the account because the provider no longer works with them they are not required to delete the trade line only to show a zero balance and closed.  The new CA is free to report their own trade line.  HOW these duplicate accounts are reporting and by whom matters greatly.

What you are proposing could take far longer and make what I suggested harder to accomplish.  By getting full information on who the provider is and finding out if this is even their account it could be gone in less than 14 days.  Your method could take months given that the CRAs will use E-Oscar and it could be rubber stamped valid since DV was already started with the CA.

Yes, you are right I did jump to a conclusion that when OP said "exact same entry added twice" I assumed they would have meant not only the amount but the name of the creditor was the same.  I have had this happen to me two times in the past where it litterally was the same TL from the same furnisher listed twice on my Transunion report.  I just automatically assumed OP had the same issue.  However, Clydesmom is correct, OP will need to check the entries to see if they were from the same CA or if one is the OC and the other from a CA.

As far as my method taking longer, that is also true.  However, I still prefer this method because I find that many old, smaller medical debts will drop off with a dispute and/or MOV request.  Where if you contact the CA and demand more information on the OC, they may resist. Especially if they are worried about HIPPA.  It may be a huge pain in the rear to get straight information from the CA.  And once you do (if you ever do), then when you contact the OC they may just give you the line of "this account went to collections, so we no longer have info on it".

As far as my method taking longer, that is also true.  However, I still prefer this method because I find that many old, smaller medical debts will drop off with a dispute and/or MOV request.  Where if you contact the CA and demand more information on the OC, they may resist. Especially if they are worried about HIPPA.  It may be a huge pain in the rear to get straight information from the CA.  And once you do (if you ever do), then when you contact the OC they may just give you the line of "this account went to collections, so we no longer have info on it".

This would be true if the debt truly did belong to the OP but that is likely not the case for the OP.  They have already done due diligence and spoken to their own providers and insurance carrier and determined they have no outstanding debts to them.  In this case there legitimately is a reason to believe there is a billing error with a patient of a similar name/social and it has simply been slapped on the OP's credit.  It is time to go straight to the provider that hired the CA and confirm whose debt it is.

Your method works when the debt is really old, the CA no longer has an account and cannot validate, and the provider no longer cares.  In this case the OP has debt listed that is as new as 9 months.  That they obviously care about.