Sign in to follow this  
Gsans115

Something smells fishy...can anyone help?

Hello Everyone,

Earlier today, i got a phone call from a number i did not recognize asking for a person in my name, I say its me, and the person asks if my birthday is on X date, and without knowing, i corrected the person. I then ask what it was for and the person said that they were looking for someone with my name and that X birthdate. 

I was so occupied at the time that it did not register that it was a potential identity scam/fraud and that i inadvertently gave out sensitive information.

I called the number back and all i got was brief elevator music followed by unanswered ringing. Then alarms start to go off and i quickly ordered a credit report which showed nothing suspicious. Then i got an initial 90 day fraud alert placed on my credit file.

As for as i know, they have my name, birthday and phone number. and i can only assume that they have my address as well. 

Am i getting too paranoid?

Should i take any further steps to protect myself ?

if so, what would they be?

And what are the potential damages that can be done with that information??

I'd appreciate any information anyone can provide.

Thanks

@Gsans115

It's probably some sort of scam.  Anyone can get names and birth dates online.  Unfortunately, that information is readily available.

Usually, a social security number is needed to open a new account.  If the scammer doesn't have your ss#, it shouldn't be a problem.   If there's a possibility that they do have your number, you already have a fraud alert on your CR.

Everyone should keep track of their credit reports.  If any account shows up on your CR that was not opened by you (or as an authorized user), file a police report and dispute it with the credit reporting agencies including a copy of the police report with your dispute.

• Like 1

@BV80

May this be uploaded as a way to start 2015 off right on every forum's headboard? I think it is awesome!

A NACA member attorney now a goddess in my legal life, which is a boon to my personal & medical realms of life, instructed me to make the annual free requests to all (3) agencies, which was a snap on the *.gov site, I must say!

Within 10 days, all (3) of my 20+ pages each reports were here, in-hand, at zero cost! Love-Love-Love it!

Some may be in for a glorious surprise, others may see some opportunities for dispute (s), etc. No matter what the news learned from holding all three versions of your own in-hand, the final outcome can only be personal finance betterment, (as long as we resolve to make 2 015 an even better year, and, take the steps to make it so!).

Onward! Upward! Forwardbound! Hurrah!

Another year is almost behind us. A new year, to make a new start, lies only a few more days away!

Warmly,

@Gsans115

It's probably some sort of scam.  Anyone can get names and birth dates online.  Unfortunately, that information is readily available.

Usually, a social security number is needed to open a new account.  If the scammer doesn't have your ss#, it shouldn't be a problem.   If there's a possibility that they do have your number, you already have a fraud alert on your CR.

Everyone should keep track of their credit reports.  If any account shows up on your CR that was not opened by you (or as an authorized user), file a police report and dispute it with the credit reporting agencies including a copy of the police report with your dispute.

@Gsans115

May this be uploaded as a way to start 2015 off right on every forum's headboard? I think it is awesome!

A NACA member attorney now a goddess in my legal life, which is a boon to my personal & medical realms of life, instructed me to make the annual free requests to all (3) agencies, which was a snap on the *.gov site, I must say!

Within 10 days, all (3) of my 20+ pages each reports were here, in-hand, at zero cost! Love-Love-Love it!

Some may be in for a glorious surprise, others may see some opportunities for dispute (s), etc. No matter what the news learned from holding all three versions of your own in-hand, the final outcome can only be personal finance betterment, (as long as we resolve to make 2 015 an even better year, and, take the steps to make it so!).

Onward! Upward! Forwardbound! Hurrah!

Another year is almost behind us. A new year, to make a new start, lies only a few more days away!

Warmly,

Question: What if this is "lost" in the mail, like many of my packages are? Looks like someone will have all they need in one neat bundle.