Sign in to follow this  
Jus10

Question about the repossession dispute letter...

I wanted to inquire about the a sample letter i found in the pinned Forms at the top of this forum.  Specifically the repossession letter http://www.creditinf...eletter18.shtml and was wondering if anyone has used this and been successful?  Also at the top of the page that the letter is on it states:

It may be used AFTER 2 years from the date of the repo sale, providing there has been no filed claim for a judgment. It should not be used if you have been sued, or if the repossession was less than 2 years ago.

Is the 2 year rule based on the statute of limitations for most states?  The reason I ask is because the purchase, and repossession, as well as the sale of the vehicle all happened in Oklahoma where the statute of limitations on repossessions (from what i understand) is 5 years, not 2.  Ally has not pursued any legal action and i would like to keep it that way for the next year or so (report was mid/late 2011) years till the statute of limitations runs out.  I was wondering if i were to use this letter would it be effective?  All the paperwork sent by Ally (if they sent any which I'm sure they sent something) was sent to my ex-wife, because she was the primary, and i was the secondary (co-singer).  So i didn't receive any of the "legal" paperwork when the car was in default, and repossessed, and sold.  As a matter of fact, i didn't even find out she was in default until about 6 months after she defaulted and they called me at work (the dealership i bought the car from) and told me that it would take, if i remember correctly, about $1,300 to bring it back to current.  This was when i was fresh out of active duty military and was living paycheck to paycheck so i couldn't afford a $1,300 lump sum payment.  They wouldn't work with me about bringing the note up to current so i just told them to take it and gave them her address.

Most of the sample letters on this site are riddled with errors and not based on FDCPA or FCRA law.  I would not recommend using any letter found on the internet.  You are better off researching which section of either law that applies to you and crafting your own well worded letter.  Cut and paste jobs tend to be ignored.

Ok, thank you.  I'll do a bit of research and see what i can come up with.  The repo was deleted from equfax and transunion, but remained on experian.  I just sent off a certified letter because the repo was reinserted into my Equifax credit file, but i never received notice of it. So it should be getting deleted again.  Here in a few months, i'll attempt to send another dispute letter to Experian and see if i can get it deleted completely.

Thanks again!

Are you using WhyChats repo letter? People have used that method with reported success. There is case law supported the 2 year limit and the UCC SOL for a repo is actually 4 years.