need advice on 3 Really old medical bills

myscoresawful

1. $1,400 DOFD Feb 2007 // TU shows it's scheduled to fall off Jan 2017 (I kid you not)

2. $400 DOFD Dec 2007 // TU shows it's scheduled to fall off Jul 2015

3. $200 DOFD Jan 2009 // TU shows it's scheduled to fall off Apr 2016

None of these have ever had any kind of judgement on them.  This was a very rough period for me where I was not insured and unable to work (when I was awarded total disability).   The hospital held on to them for a couple of years and then turned them over to collections.  The hospital is still the OC.  

The one for $200, is still within the 7 year reporting time frame, but is out of SOL as of this month.  

The other two, should have been deleted a year ago.

Would it be best to dispute with the TU and a few days later send an intent to sue to the CA.  Do I have to list what they've been in violation of for the past year?

I'm hoping that threatening them on the two, will have them delete the third also but I'm not holding my breath.

I have VERY good documentation on this, including the original bills and most of the monthly statements the hospital continued to send.

When I dispute with TU, do I dispute as 'expired'?

You might want to wait because the first 2 do not fall off until this summer as they have a 6 month grace period. If they do not fall off, then simply send TU a letter demanding that they are removed as the reporting period has expired. If they come back as verified, then you send the CA a 623 letter. If that does not work, then you sue both for FCRA violations.

Dispute all 3 as obsolete with TU.  If the CA no longer has a business relationship with the hospital they cannot validate and they may fall off that way.  IF they validate simply wait on the first two to fall off.  If the date on that first one doesn't change and they have illegally re-aged it don't waste time with a 623 letter file a complaint with the CFPB.  If none of that works then file a lawsuit for the FCRA violations.

Thanks, Clydesmom.  The reason I feel they've been re-aged is because TransUnion has always shown the dates accounts should fall off (and then they do) as 7 years from the DOFD (without adding a 6 month grace period).

Even with a 6 month grace period though, that first one should already be gone and no way it would add up to 2017 either, so I think even if they change the date on it, if it remains on my report, then the date is still wrong and I will go ahead with your advice.

Thanks, Clydesmom.  The reason I feel they've been re-aged is because TransUnion has always shown the dates accounts should fall off (and then they do) as 7 years from the DOFD (without adding a 6 month grace period).

Even with a 6 month grace period though, that first one should already be gone and no way it would add up to 2017 either, so I think even if they change the date on it, if it remains on my report, then the date is still wrong and I will go ahead with your advice.

7 years 6 month reporting period is generally credit card debt.  Medical debt is based on the date care was delivered to the consumer and does not have a 6 month window added on.  You can usually get those off right at 7 years.

Post back and let us know what happens.

• Like 1

Even better! 
The date of service for these, then, is:
$1,400: Jan 2007

$400: Nov 2007

$200: Dec 2008  (which incidentally, the original bill I received was for $95, and once I started getting monthly statements, it had jumped to $200 with no reference to what the other $105 was for)

I will update as soon as I hear anything. Thanks again!

• 2 months later...

I know this is a little old, but I wanted to update this post since all of the info is here.

Back in February I disputed all 3 as obsolete and 2 disappeared, but the biggest one ($1400) was verified by the CA and updated. I knew it was a bill from 2007 and no way they could legally be reporting it so I let the dust settle while working on some other things and then about 2 weeks ago I sent them a request for validation based on my rights under the Texas Finance Code.  The thing is, I really wanted them to look at what they had instead of just updating with out checking their files, so that they would SEE that it was outdated.

Anyway, I got a letter today and enclosed was a copy of the letter I had sent them, plus a short note from them stating that "This is not an attempt to collect a debt. Per your request, this account that you dispute, has been closed and will be deleted from your tradelines."

So there you have it.  It was only reporting to one bureau though, but it's gone.

• Like 1