In January of 2013 I had a bill that needed to be paid and I thought I had taken care of it. I hadn't received any more notices after giving them full payment so I went on with my life. Now it is February of 2015 and I just received a notice in the mail from a collection agency saying that I had never paid this debt. WHAT!!! I was so infuriated when I called this company because I DID pay this debt. The lady told me that they had sent the debt to them in October of last year. I am in the process of sending them a request for debt validation and also a dispute for this debt. My question is, what are the legal time frames of both the hospital and the collection agency? I just don't feel like any of this is right. 1. The debt was paid when I got the bill. 2. They waited almost 2 years to send it to collections. and 3. It was sent to this agency in October and I never received a phone call or a letter stating I was in collections until February. Any and all help is much appreciated. I just want to know if anything illegal happened while I'm in the process of disputing this debt. 

Nothing illegal has happened.  Most likely there is a computer error some where that generated a new bill.  The first thing to do is call the hospital and find out exactly what they believe is owed and why.  The second thing to do is get a hold of your bank records showing the payment because you are going to need them.  Once you have that you can send a copy to the CA and demand they cease and desist collection efforts and remove any trade lines for the debt.

There is no legal time frame for sending something to collections.  The only legal time frame or statute of limitations is for them to sue you for the debt.