Sign in to follow this  
dragonstar

Can I pay the collection agency instead of the city marshal?

Hi I am new here and I have tried looking for anything that has to do with the NYC Marshals but to no avail. Hoping someone can help me in my situation which is:

I'm a single middle aged woman who lives alone in NYC and works a not so great paying job. Just recently last week the marshal started garnishing my wages. They are taking 10%of my gross which comes to be about $97. Working a new job that i just started in December 2014, that pays $12/hour. With my pre-tax medical and 401 taken out I'm coming home with a $600 check every 2 weeks. I have finally said to myself I have to pay off all my debts!

I have been thinking of going the debt consolidation route. Any which way the other day I gathered what ever bills/statements/collection agency notices I could find. I even called up 2 CC companies to see exactly what I owed and if those debts where sold and if so, to whom. Then I did some math from what info I had gathered.

My question is this: 

Is there a way for me to pay the debt collector that paid the marshal? Instead of me paying the Marshal? I guess eliminating the third person?

If I do debt consolidation can the garnishment also be included in that consolidation?

Now this is what my expenses look like: 

I live paycheck to paycheck I don't have a savings account and I barely have above $150 in my checking

paycheck every 2 weeks $600 

Rent is $760

Metro card (form of transportation) is $116 month

electricity is $70 month

Phone $80 month

food varies I can spend up to $100 month

so this leaves me literally with $74 for the month!!

How do I even pay off debt with this?!

City Marshall I owe $3000 They are taking out 10% of my gross pay every 2 weeks.

Total owed on cards  $10,686.96

I still need to call 3 other card companies to see what my debt is with them... but guesstimating I would say this total would be around $2,500-$3000.

What can I do? I have been seeing some of the forums on here stating that consolidation is a ripoff. How else can I have this debt off my back with only having $74 available per month?

I would be ever so grateful for any help!!

Thanks

My question is this: 

Is there a way for me to pay the debt collector that paid the marshal? Instead of me paying the Marshal? I guess eliminating the third person?

If I do debt consolidation can the garnishment also be included in that consolidation?

At this point?  No.  There is no way the creditor is going to stop that garnishment unless you pay the debt off in full or with a very generous settlement offer.  Given your financial situation they are going to get way more through that garnishment than if you pay them personally which is high risk since you already defaulted once, have very little income, and a lot of debt over all.

Debt consolidation is NOT going to help you.  There is no way that the creditor will agree to that either when they have a legal judgment to collect the entire amount.

What can I do? I have been seeing some of the forums on here stating that consolidation is a ripoff. How else can I have this debt off my back with only having $74 available per month?

One word:  BANKRUPTCY.  With all that debt, the judgment/garnishment, and so little income you would be far better off wiping all of it out and starting fresh than to try and pay it off.  A judgment in NY also has 9% post judgment interest adding up.  At that rate $3000 x .09 = $270 in interest per year.  Paying $97  biweekly would take you almost 3 years to pay off that one judgment.  

As for debt consolidation:  nothing but a scam.  WHY would you pay a third party to attempt to do what you can do on your own for free.  They basically charge you a huge fee to put pennies towards your debts.  It is such a scam that most creditors won't work with them.