Collections notice, nothing on credit file?

mralexx

i have no collections at all. Today i get a collections notice from Convergent /LVNV funding LLC and it's dated 3-32015...original creditor was columbus bank and trust.  I've checked credit karma and my reports since i just got them last month and i don't see anything.  I did dispute a collections account and it was removed from eqifax and transunion recently but even with that said that amount was $355 and this is 1,464.24 and they want to settle for 292.85.  Is it BS?  Do i contact the 3 credit companies to inquiry about this?

i have no collections at all. Today i get a collections notice from Convergent /LVNV funding LLC and it's dated 3-32015...original creditor was columbus bank and trust.  I've checked credit karma and my reports since i just got them last month and i don't see anything.  I did dispute a collections account and it was removed from eqifax and transunion recently but even with that said that amount was $355 and this is 1,464.24 and they want to settle for 292.85.  Is it BS?  Do i contact the 3 credit companies to inquiry about this?

Convergent is a bottom feeder that is not to be trusted.  They are not a scam but they are a known collection agency that LVNV uses on zombie debt.  LVNV must be seeking to improve their 2nd and 3rd quarter earnings because I too got one of those letters offering to settle.  DO NOT fall for it.

There is no need to dispute with the bureaus if it isn't reporting.  All I did was send the CA that LVNV used and LVNV a letter stating I dispute the debt and refuse to pay.  They simply went away.  They are looking for the low hanging fruit not those who will stand up to them.  Make sure you send the letter CMRR.

@mralexx

I've checked credit karma and my reports since i just got them last month and i don't see anything.

Neither Convergent nor LVNV is required to report the debt to the credit reporting agencies.   There's no way of knowing if or when they'll report.   However, you did the right thing by checking your CR.   Good job.  :-)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Did you ever have that account, if not, then it may well be a scam. Proceed with caution. Send a DV letter CMRRR to them saying simply: I dispute this account and require validation.

I don't remember, once upon a time i had crappy credit but in the last 10 years or more it's been good. I'm sorry but i'm not fimilar with the abbreviations...

Convergent is a bottom feeder that is not to be trusted.  They are not a scam but they are a known collection agency that LVNV uses on zombie debt.  LVNV must be seeking to improve their 2nd and 3rd quarter earnings because I too got one of those letters offering to settle.  DO NOT fall for it.

There is no need to dispute with the bureaus if it isn't reporting.  All I did was send the CA that LVNV used and LVNV a letter stating I dispute the debt and refuse to pay.  They simply went away.  They are looking for the low hanging fruit not those who will stand up to them.  Make sure you send the letter CMRR.

What is a CMRR and what do i exactly do?

Here's a basic thing that I have found....look at the numbers.  If the debt is over $1400, but they would take $292 to settle it, chances are fairly good that this would be a debt they can no longer sue you over due to SOL.  That's a rather steep discount.  This to me seems like they would be content to get really anything out of this one.  They probably paid 5 cents on the dollar, so they are likely trying to get any kind of return on that money and then move on to bigger collections.  If the above is true, that tells me that the debt is probably outside the SOL and I'd personally tell them to go pound sand. 

Debts that are more recent, still within SOL, are not as commonly settled for such a small percentage like this.  It's probably something either ancient, or might not even be yours at all. 

@mralexx

Neither Convergent nor LVNV is required to report the debt to the credit reporting agencies.   There's no way of knowing if or when they'll report.   However, you did the right thing by checking your CR.   Good job.  :-)

So today i got another letter from them with a higher amount due.  it shos allied interstate current creditor lvnv funding and amount owed $4,651.76 and willing to settle for 1,302.49...

i'm starting to think this is fishy but i don't want my credit to get a impact from this.

@mralexx

Contact a consumer attorney in your area.  A couple of federal courts have ruled that a failure to explain in a debt collection letter how an amount has been calculated (such as added interest) is a violation of the FDCPA.   A CA consumer attorney should have that information along with any possible violations of CA state law.

http://www.consumeradvocates.org/about-naca

@mralexx

Contact a consumer attorney in your area.  A couple of federal courts have ruled that a failure to explain in a debt collection letter how an amount has been calculated (such as added interest) is a violation of the FDCPA.   A CA consumer attorney should have that information along with any possible violations of CA state law.

http://www.consumeradvocates.org/about-naca

is there a fee for a consumer attorney? Are there steps i can take myself with some research?

@mralexx

Many consumer attorneys who specialize in FDCPA lawsuit provide free consultations.  If they believe you have a valid claim, many will sue the debt collector at no cost to you (contingency) because their fees will be reimbursed either in a settlement or a win with court.

You can file an FDCPA complaint on your own, but you have to know what you're doing.  Some CAs will immediately settle after receiving an "intent to sue letter", but other's won't. and will wait for a lawsuit.   A complaint filed with the court must meet certain standards or it can be dismissed on the basis that you failed to state a proper claim. 

Look at both of the letters you have received.  Take a magnifying glass if you have to (because that's usually just how well camouflaged the disclaimer is).  What you're looking for is something with regards to them not being able to sue you or report you (to that effect) because of the age of the debt.  

A scammer's letter isn't going to have that, but any CA who is trying to keep their nose just above violations usually have it (maybe tiny print) somewhere on the notice (check the back).  I have gotten several of these lately on very old debts and it took me about the 3rd or 4th time I read it, to notice the disclaimer.

Look at both of the letters you have received.  Take a magnifying glass if you have to (because that's usually just how well camouflaged the disclaimer is).  What you're looking for is something with regards to them not being able to sue you or report you (to that effect) because of the age of the debt.  

A scammer's letter isn't going to have that, but any CA who is trying to keep their nose just above violations usually have it (maybe tiny print) somewhere on the notice (check the back).  I have gotten several of these lately on very old debts and it took me about the 3rd or 4th time I read it, to notice the disclaimer.

so did you just ignore them?