BeJebus

3 Months to trial in California - best use of time?

I was sued by Kenosian & Miele and got some good advice here previously, so...

My trial is at the end of July and I'm wondering how best to proceed given that time frame.

I sent them a BOP and M&C months ago, which they never responded to, but I did not follow up, unfortunately, as I shifted my attention to opposing their Motion to Deem Matters Admitted which came in shortly thereafter, (that the debt was legitimate, mine, and I didn't pay)

Their motion was denied.

I have propounded no discovery as of yet, just responded to their request for documents and admissions and then opposed their motion to deem matters admitted.

I was wondering if I should send another BOP and do it right this time, or just ask for the documents they plan to use at trial.

I want to see their Bill of Sale, of course, which I asked for in the original BOP.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I would much rather start discovery of your own, send a request for production of documents like the one on ASTMed.

give us a bit more on the case, what is the cause of action? who is the OC, the date the last payment was made to the alleged account?

i would send discovery requesting the following to start.

1- all documents relating to or constituting any agreement between defendant and chase bank usa na referencing the alleged account number ######### bearing the defendants signature

2- all documents relating to or constituting a contract, agreement, assignment, or other means demonstrating that midland funding had the authority and capacity and is legally entitled to collect on the alleged debt from chase bank usa na,  account number XXXXXXXXXX

3 all itemized statements or credit card statements from the alleged chase bank usa, na account number XXXXXXXXXXXXX  that demonstrate how the alleged amount of $$$$$ was calculated.

*just change it to the OC name on the claim

• Like 1

Is the plaintiff Citibank or are you being sued by an assignee?

If plaintiff is the OC (Citibank), you do not want numbers 1 and 2.  Just #3 above.

If you are being sued by an assignee, then all three are appropriate.

Thank you Calawyer, I forgot to ask if he was being sued by a JDB or an original creditor.

Sorry, it's Unifund and the attorney is Kenosian & Miele.

So given that it's 3 months to trial, I should just go ahead with my discovery and ask for their documentation and such to establish they actually own the debt and all that?

Yes.  Use all three requests substituting Unifund and Citbank where appropriate.