Sign in to follow this  
pkat1

Medical Collection showing up as 'retail'

I have 2 medical collections ($259 and $104).  I sent a DV and C&D.  I have also disputed with the CRA's.  After doing this, I also noticed that next to where it has the original creditor (which was a medical lab), it says in parenthesis 'retail'.  This is not a retail account so I'm wondering if it's being reported as one (as opposed to medical, which apparently doesn't impact score as much)  If they don't delete with my previous 'not mine' dispute, should I do another dispute since it's says it's retail?  

The good thing is that it's only on TU so it's not too bad, but I want it gone!!

I have 2 medical collections ($259 and $104).  I sent a DV and C&D. 

Did you want them to respond to the DV or to stop contacting you?  You don't send both together because the C&D prevents them from responding to the DV.

After doing this, I also noticed that next to where it has the original creditor (which was a medical lab), it says in parenthesis 'retail'.  This is not a retail account so I'm wondering if it's being reported as one (as opposed to medical, which apparently doesn't impact score as much)  

The "retail" coding could be nothing more than an E-Oscar code error entered by the CA responding to your complaint.

If they don't delete with my previous 'not mine' dispute, should I do another dispute since it's says it's retail?  

The good thing is that it's only on TU so it's not too bad, but I want it gone!!

You can but it doesn't obligate them to delete the information only to correct it.  Is the debt REALLY not yours or are you simply hoping they won't respond and it falls off that way?  If you want it gone why not simply pay the providers you received the care from?

Did you want them to respond to the DV or to stop contacting you?  You don't send both together because the C&D prevents them from responding to the DV.

Ah, I guess I wanted them to DV and then not contact me after.  Guess I goofed on that one.  

The "retail" coding could be nothing more than an E-Oscar code error entered by the CA responding to your complaint.

How does  the CRA determine whether it's a medical collection or a regular collection?

You can but it doesn't obligate them to delete the information only to correct it.  Is the debt REALLY not yours or are you simply hoping they won't respond and it falls off that way?  If you want it gone why not simply pay the providers you received the care from?

It's possible it's mine, I really am not sure, since I had/have insurance, I think it would have been covered by insurance and shouldn't have been billed to me.  I will probably end up paying it, but really wanted to get more information. But yes, if they don't respond and it fell off, I wouldn't be too upset :-)

Sorry, totally messed up on how the quote button worked...

@pkat1

"It's possible it's mine, I really am not sure, since I had/have insurance, I think it would have been covered by insurance and shouldn't have been billed to me. "

Having insurance doesn't mean you don't pay anything at all.  That rarely happens.  There is almost always a co-pay, deductible to be met or a  co-insurance.  The first thing to do is find out who the provider is and what they are collecting for.  If it isn't yours then that is a gold plated way to get it removed (you can't assume) if it is yours then you can get your estimation of benefits from your insurance and find out what you do owe.

• Like 1

Ok, didn't want to start a new thread, but have some new information. 

This collection agency sent me a letter on the 13th showing me a screen dump with the amounts, etc.  Turns out they called and left a recorded message for me on the 14th and they called again on the 16th (this time I waited for them and spoke to them, told them they called me at work and also mentioned how everything was supposed to be in writing, etc.)  Below is the wording of my letter.

Does their contact after having mailed a letter constitute a violation of the FDCPA?  In addition, the screen dump they sent me shows my entire ss#.  Is this a violation? 

I noticed that there are two entries for your company on my credit report.  One in the amount of  $xxxand the other in the amount of $xxx.  I do not recognize these accounts/amounts as anything that I am familiar with.   

Please advise what the debt is for and in the meantime, please take the following actions:

· Please contact any credit agencies to whom you have reported this alleged debt, and inform them that I am disputing the debt; and

·Please also forward a copy of this letter to the creditor who alleges that I owe the debt at issue, and inform them that I am disputing the debt.

Except as specifically outlined herein, I am requesting that you cease all contact with me about the alleged debt. Any further contact should be strictly in conformity with the FDCPA: It should be limited to providing me with the documentation requested in this letter, informing me that you have ceased collection efforts on the alleged debt, or stating that you are taking a specific action in relation to the debt.

Any further contact should be made in writing, and should be submitted to my home address by mail.

The FDCPA does not recognize a partial cease and desist i.e only contact me in writing.  They are free to ignore that request or treat it as a full cease and desist. 

The FDCPA also does not require that they notify the provider or forward your letter stating you are disputing the debt.  YOU have to exercise your rights and do that.

ALL they are required to send you as part of validation is the name/address of the OC and the amount you owe.  NO documentation.  You got that with the screen dump.  Now you have to decide what to do with it.

Thank you for your quick reply!  I'm starting to understand how this works. 

One more question, do they have to send me the name/address of the OC or is the name sufficient?  

Just an update...reported them to BBB and got their response.  They said the only request they rec'd from me was from CRA (a lie, of course, which is pretty funny considering I included the usps tracking number in my complaint) in which they've already responded but since I was a nuisance, they were going to delete the file and have it removed from my credit report! I guess they must have thought they were in violation so to avoid me suing them for $2000 (since they called me twice after having mailed the letter). 

For that little amount, why go through all the hassle -just pay? (The provider, I mean,not the CA). did you ever contact the provider and ask what the charges were? i.e. deductible, co-pay, co-insurance? It might have turned out that you owed it, or it might have turned out it was a mistake. It gets so tricky for people to manage this small type of medical debt on the back end...most providers are gracious and willing to work with those who have financial hardship...

Did you get contact directly from the CA or the provider saying that they wrote off this debt? Idk if the debt itself will disappear, just with these folks. ? Just a thought.