They sent a letter to my work.

whatsherface

I received a credit collection letter at my work.  I went to the hospital around 3 or so years ago.  I had no insurance.  The bill I received was a little less than $700.  I received no more than 3 bills from them asking for the money.  I haven't heard from them in 2 years.  Nothing ever showed up on my credit report, which I check monthly.  The other day I received a letter saying it has been sent to collections.  I called them and verbally agreed to pay it in installments, but I didn't give them any bank info.  The letter never stated they were going to garnish my wages.  Should I be worried that they will or is it a scare tactic?  Also, have I ruined my chances on not paying it since I verbally told them I would?  What should I do?

Also, if I end up having to pay it or any collection notices I receive from other companies, how low can I go on telling them how much I will pay them?  Will they let me pay them $10-$20 a month or would I be wasting my breath asking them that?  I am broke as is.

No, they would not take that amount in payments, it would not even cover interest. NEVER give anyone your banking information or access to it. They haven't sued you yet, so if they do respond to it, don't hide from it or they will GET a default judgment against you. Maybe they will write it off if you ask.

I received a credit collection letter at my work.  I went to the hospital around 3 or so years ago.  I had no insurance.  The bill I received was a little less than $700.  I received no more than 3 bills from them asking for the money.  I haven't heard from them in 2 years.  Nothing ever showed up on my credit report, which I check monthly.  The other day I received a letter saying it has been sent to collections.  I called them and verbally agreed to pay it in installments, but I didn't give them any bank info.  The letter never stated they were going to garnish my wages.  Should I be worried that they will or is it a scare tactic?  Also, have I ruined my chances on not paying it since I verbally told them I would?  What should I do?

Also, if I end up having to pay it or any collection notices I receive from other companies, how low can I go on telling them how much I will pay them?  Will they let me pay them $10-$20 a month or would I be wasting my breath asking them that?  I am broke as is.

They may not accept those arrangements, but they can't turn down any money you send them.   I had a friend several years ago who was pretty broke and had a ton of medical bills from when she was getting cancer treatment.  She was paying several different offices and CAs.  During all of this she had a CA send her the 30 day notice for yet another medical bill and she sent them $5.00 (genuinely and all she could send).  They sent it back to her with a letter stating they would not accept anything less than X amount of $ and then they tried to hard ball her by suing.

She showed up in court (something I'm sure they didn't expect) and when the judge asked her if she owed it, she said yes.  He asked her if there was a reason why she hadn't paid it and she told him about all of her other bills and how she had sent the $5 but they returned it and said they wouldn't accept it and showed him the letter.

The judge looked at the lawyer for the CA an said, you know what this means, right?  (The judge ruled in my friends favor and made the hospital eat the debt.. and it was over $17K).

What I'm trying to say is that they may still sue you, but if you send them money, they can't refuse to accept it on a medical debt.  (incidentally, this was a court in TN)