shellieh98

Wow. Woman wins jury award from PRA for 83 million

great job Guadalupe Mejia for not rolling over and taking it. ::celebrate::  ::balloons::  ::punk::  

"it" (PRA GROUP) "believes the verdict and magnitude of the award to be erroneous and intends to promptly request that the court set aside such an inappropriate award.:titanic:::drowning::  :waah:  

• Like 2

@sadinca now I'm picturing this conference call at the PRA GROUP-

PRA- "But this company can't sink!"
Attorneys- "She's made of flimsy lawsuits, sir! I assure you, she can... and she will. It is a mathematical certainty."

• Like 1

Thanks for posting Shellieh.  I heard about this last week but couldn't find a decent article to post.  The only one I could find required you to sign up and didn't provide much info when you did.

There is a US supreme court case called BMW v. Gore that says the ratio between actual damages and punitive damages must be reasonable.  10 times actuals is a stretch, so this ratio will be tough to justify.  Nonetheless, this is an important message to the industry and the conduct at issue in the case was bad.  Very bad.  It is nice to see a jury send the message.

• Like 2

@sadinca now I'm picturing this conference call at the PRA GROUP-

PRA- "But this company can't sink!"

Attorneys- "She's made of flimsy lawsuits, sir! I assure you, she can... and she will. It is a mathematical certainty."

PRA CEO: so how did this happen?

Attorney: we file a frivolous law suit for $1100 and we got slapped with $83 million countersuit. :ROFLMAO2:

@wls1012 that seems to be a good enough reason to also report complaints to the CFPB where awards go into a fund to compensate other victims. I was thinking a class action lawsuit would also be handy but credit card issuers usually block that with arbitration clauses.

CFPB Civil Penalty Fund

http://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/201412_cfpb_faqs_cpf.pdf

Recently Regions Bank had to pay $7.5 Million into the Fund.

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/newsroom/cfpb-fines-regions-bank-7-5-million-for-unlawful-overdraft-practices/

• Like 1

It shows us something, that we should be demanding jury trials. Pro pers can do this, The preps are easy and on CIC there are enough people to really divvy up the workload.

• Like 1