My quick fix isn't so quick

MsGuided

So my journey begins like this... Heard about "identity theft block request" and did extensive research. For you who don't know what that is, it's where you send your IDTA straight into the CRA's with the fradulent accts listed, notarized and a letter requesting the "identity theft block". What I "learned" was: the CRA's have 4 days once received to permanently delete & block those items from being reported ever again. Seems easy right? They have 15 days to notify you if they require additional information. They do have the right to deny it, but from what I read it was an easy fix.

So here goes; I sent my notarized IDTA's to all 3 CRA's on 5/21/2015. Within a few days I received an email from EQ that they started an investigation into my dispute & would take 30 days to resolve my dispute. (side eye, what happened to 4 days??) Within 1 week, 2 items were removed from TU & EQ. (Yay!!!) so I'm thinking it's working.. Too easy lol! Then....nothing.nada.not a thing. Then I receive a letter

Continued... I received a letter 2 weeks into this from EQ wanting a copy of my ID & SSN card. Sent & that's where I am with them right now. Experian sent a letter saying they are denying my request bc they require a police report. BUT, I've noticed the same accounts removed from EQ/TU have been removed from EX so I'm not too concerned with them right now. Transunion sent a letter saying the can't grant my request but to fill out addt'l paperwork so they can resolve my disputes ...they sent me another IDTA to fill out. (Side eye bc that's what I sent to begin with)

Right now I'm playing the waiting game. Not yet 30 days in but I'm already overwhelmed. If anyone has advise on the "identity theft block request" please advise. I went that route bc I wanted to knock it all out at once.

• 3 weeks later...

So my journey begins like this... Heard about "identity theft block request" and did extensive research. For you who don't know what that is, it's where you send your IDTA straight into the CRA's with the fradulent accts listed, notarized and a letter requesting the "identity theft block". What I "learned" was: the CRA's have 4 days once received to permanently delete & block those items from being reported ever again. Seems easy right? They have 15 days to notify you if they require additional information. They do have the right to deny it, but from what I read it was an easy fix.

So here goes; I sent my notarized IDTA's to all 3 CRA's on 5/21/2015. Within a few days I received an email from EQ that they started an investigation into my dispute & would take 30 days to resolve my dispute. (side eye, what happened to 4 days??) Within 1 week, 2 items were removed from TU & EQ. (Yay!!!) so I'm thinking it's working.. Too easy lol! Then....nothing.nada.not a thing. Then I receive a letter

From what I've read on the consumer section of the FTC website, the IDTA (Identity Theft Victim's Complaint & Affidavit) does not impose these requirements on the CRAs, but the IDTA and an "Identity Theft Report" (a report by your local Law Enforcement agency) does.  It's really the ITR that makes the CRAs move, block, delete, etc and is probably why EX requested it.

You may see them come back in time without the ITR, because the IDTA, when sent to the CRAs alone, is for disputing.  Whether they pop back up or not might depend on how recent these accounts are, or if you get them the ITR.

Here is the official form and information about it:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/pdf-0094-identity-theft-affidavit.pdf

If you scroll down to page 5 of that form, you'll see what I mean.  I have never had to file anything like it (thankfully!) so I can't speak from experience. 

@MsGuided

Fair Credit Reporting Act 1681c(2)(a):

(a) Block

Except as otherwise provided in this section, a consumer reporting agency shall block the reporting of any information in the file of a consumer that the consumer identifies as information that resulted from an alleged identity theft, not later than 4 business days after the date of receipt by such agency of—

(1) appropriate proof of the identity of the consumer;
(2) a copy of an identity theft report;
(3) the identification of such information by the consumer; and
(4) a statement by the consumer that the information is not information relating to any transaction by the consumer.