Njpirate

help with answering notice of wage execution in new jersey

hi i just received this notice of wage execution in the mail. i am not sure of how i should go about answering this. i know i will not be able to survive if my wages are taken at this point. cause in this case i am living paycheck to paycheck already. so where should i start in my response to the courts and law firm that have brought this judgment debt from another law firm that had it originally.

It will be impossible to vacate a judgment after 15 years and unfortunately NJ has a draconian long SOL to collect on it.  

Your 2 options are to see if NJ has an exemption to garnishments if your income is below a certain level (living paycheck to paycheck won't do it) and if that can quash the garnishment.  Some states have laws like this like CA and FL.  I do not know if NJ does.  If NJ does not then your next option is bankruptcy because regardless of how tight your finances are they will garnish your wages otherwise.

Unfortunately there is no getting out of this one. NJ has held that challenging a judgement would have to be within a year of the date it was entered. 

At this point....it appears you also missed the application. However, in that notice...you are given the option to object (pointless in your case - you'll never get it vacated) or asking for a reduction. They'll grant you a hearing within 7 days. They'll can only take 10% of your income after taxes if you earn less than 250% of the federal poverty level for your household size or up to 25% if you earn more than 250% of the FPL. 

Bankruptcy may be your sole savior at this point.