AJ

Collection Agency Emailed Me With Fake Purchase in Tittle

The email I got was titled REGARDING YOUR CASUAL LIVING PURCHASE WAC.

I have never purchased anything from Casual Living, and I do not even know where it is located or what type of 

business it is.

Then...the email states, THIS LETTER IS INTENDED FOR _________  __________.  IF YOU ARE NOT _______
_________ THEN DELETE THIS EMAIL AND DO NOT OPEN THE ATTACHMENT.

Next, the email states this is a notice from a debt collector.  it states the collector's business name, address, and phone number.

I am wondering if it is illegal for debt collectors to email collection demands and notices. I am wondering if it is illegal to 

make up fake purchase titles to get a person's attention.

I am not going to open the attachment. It could damage by computer...might contain a computer virus.

It's just a simple scam.  Add the sender to your spam list, delete the email and forget about it.

These are the types of scams that are become more and more common thanks to major companies like Target, Home Depot, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, - and well, just about EVERY company you do business with - collecting every piece of data they can on you, then storing that data on unsecured servers that allow hackers access to all of your information which is then sold to scammers in 3rd world countries who then blast emails out to scare people into paying them.  ::USA::

Do NOT open the attachment.  This isn't even a debt collection scam.  It is to install malware on your computer and hack your personal information to steal your identity and drain bank accounts.  The key is that attachment which is likely a zip file.  Again, DO NOT open it.