HiRoy

Received a letter from a legal firm

Hi.

I received a letter from a firm representing "their client" who states I owe $28,000 plus interest totaling $35,000 and change. The last time a payment was made was Sept of 2011.

With their generic form letter was a form for fee arbitration.

The form letter also said they have the right to pursue all legal remedies to their client, "including attachment of the above asset and forced sale, if necessary."

There isn't an asset.

I don't understand what they're referring to?

Is that grounds for dismissal? The letter obviously being used improperly?

Thank you.

Your leaving to many details out that no one could give you any sort of useful information that would help you. You've been here before...answer the 20 questions pinned at the top of the forum.

Also, did you have a debt anywhere near that much? Who was it with if so. If not who does the letter say their client is?

The debt was for $28,000 with a fam law firm. The last payment nearly 4 yrs ago. The collection agency tacked on the additional interest of $7000+. The CA is DYNAMIC LEGAL FIRM. The letter says "our client"; so I'm guessing they've hired them as opposed to have sold the debt?

So did you owe a lawyer money for legal fees? By the sound of your original post. You act as though you have no idea what the debt is about, but it now appears you may?

Smells like an FDCPA violation to me. Talk to a consumer protection attorney

@Trapezius

FDCPA does not apply to original creditors even if they are a law firm.  The OP contracted with a lawyer for representation then didn't pay the bill.  The firm still wants to be paid.  That isn't a FDCPA violation to attempt to collect their fees they are owed.

It's not an FDCPA violation to attempt to collect their fees, but if the law firm attempting to collect is a debt collector then they are bound to much of the FDCPA rules however.

• Like 1

@Trapezius

FDCPA does not apply to original creditors even if they are a law firm.  The OP contracted with a lawyer for representation then didn't pay the bill.  The firm still wants to be paid.  That isn't a FDCPA violation to attempt to collect their fees they are owed.

The FDCPA applies to the law firm who sent the collection letter, which is a CA that the OC law firm sent the account to.  That is what I make of the OPs post.  However, there are other interesting incomplete details ... such as the second letter address to another person and the fact that the collection letter mentions attachment.  Is the alleged debt only for attorney fees, or does some of it represent something such as child support payments or court fees?  They may not need a judgement to attach or garnish for those items.

And are they entitled to 7k in interest by any terms.

Also, they are making claims they will take assets when they don't have a judgment and failed to list the asset like the letter claimed.

They also should have identified themselves as debt collectors if they didn't.