Sign in to follow this  
CommoSGT

New "Twist" with CRA Investigations?

Today I received requests from several companies on my CR requesting I validate accounts.

Midland, Asset and PRA all 3 sent requests for Full Name, Full CC Number, Address (Current and past 10 years), approximate account opening dates, account balances, Last payment and date, and my employer name.  NONE of them have judgments against me.

GECRB did the same for two CCs that they claim I have/had.  CAP1 did the same for 4 accounts they claim I had with them.

NONE of these letters gave me any idea what they are talking about...no reference numbers or anything.

I did recently do requests for verification with all 3 major CBs.

Anyone seen this sort of thing before??

Today I received requests from several companies on my CR requesting I validate accounts.

Anyone seen this sort of thing before??

Yes, when a consumer cuts and pastes a letter from the internet and sites like this one that is riddled with errors that are unsupported by the FDCPA and FCRA.  All that happens is it alerts the creditors that the consumer can cut and paste but knows NOTHING about the laws that are designed to protect consumers.  This leads to attempts to fish for information to bolster their collection efforts.

Midland, Asset and PRA all 3 sent requests for Full Name, Full CC Number, Address (Current and past 10 years), approximate account opening dates, account balances, Last payment and date, and my employer name.  NONE of them have judgments against me.

NOTHING in the law requires that a consumer validate ANYTHING with a JDB.  If you are not being sued and there is no judgment where they are legally allowed to do a debtor's exam then you are free to ignore their letter or to tell them you refuse to answer.  Without knowing what state you are in a more detailed answer of what potential additional rights you might have under your state laws is impossible.

• Like 1

@Clydesmom  I am in Kentucky.  The problem is there was no letter sent to anyone.  I did an investigation request via the Experian, Equifax and Trans Union web sites because there is/was an address that I have never lived at and I asked them to verify it and an account that DID NOT send one of the letters.  I asked them to verify that one account because the bad address and the one account show opening and reporting in the same month.  I couldn't have done the request because I wasn't even in the country at the time...and I have orders from the US Army proving it.

@CommoSGT

I did recently do requests for verification with all 3 major CBs.

Do you mean that you disputed entries on your CR?   If so, what exactly did you claim in your disputes? 

@BV80  I disputed the address that I have never been anywhere near and the account (CC) that was opened the same month/year that the address was added.  I disputed them as "NOT MINE"

@CommoSGT

Midland, Asset, and PRA were reporting an incorrect address for you?  Or were the CRAs reporting the incorrect address?

@BV80  The CRA's were reporting the address and account.  I disputed it with all 3 as not mine and I received the letters from all the others (Midland, Asset, PRA, etc) about 18 days later.

@CommoSGT

The letters are basically saying that we don't have enough information to determine if the account is yours or not.  If the account is truly not yours, you can't provide them with answers.  I don't see why they'd need an employer's name.  I might respond by saying "This is what you are reporting (provide their account number on the CR and the balance).  It's not my account, and I do not owe it."

If the account is yours, there's not much you can do unless they're reporting inaccurate information.

• Like 1

@BV80

The address and account I disputed have nothing to do with the three amigos or the other companies that are fishing for info. I didn't even question that information on my CR...yet.

@BV80

The address and account I disputed have nothing to do with the three amigos or the other companies that are fishing for info. I didn't even question that information on my CR...yet.

It sounds like after you disputed the lone account as not yours they concluded you were asserting identity theft and notified other creditors who are now attempting to determine if those accounts are part of it as well as fish for information to bolster collection efforts or suit.  You do not have to respond to any creditor unrelated to the trade line disputed.

Something in your dispute must have triggered the CRAs to put some type of fraud alert out to all the furnishers reporting on you.   I have never seen this before, but like the others have said, I would just ignore it since you did not initiate any contact or dispute on those accounts.