h8spleadingpaper

Sued by Absolute Resolutions / Resurgence Legal

Very good H8. Notice how it says a declaration AND testimony from a witness of an assignee can't lay a foundation.  So if the witness yout subpoena is from the bottom feeder and not the OC,  they can't lay a foundation.  This case law is a good example for your case. 

• Like 1

@Anon Amos

So, do I use the incompetent witness objection (Sierra v. Hale) when Plaintiff’s council first attempts to call this witness, or only after my cross exam?  Thanks.

As soon as he calls the witness, as soon as you hear the witness name "your honor I object to this witness being called as he is incompetent" . "He cannot possibly authenticate or lay a foundation for records of OC, as he is not employed there, and they are hearsay and do not meet a business records exception" . 'there is caselaw that supports this as well (Sierra v Hale).

If the judge overrules your objection, then the witness will simply take the stand and attempt to lay a foundation for documents (that you will object to as each document is introduced by the lawyer). Then you will cross examine the witness. When you finish with that; you will ask the judge that witness be impeached and all testimony be stricken from the record.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Anon Amos said:

As soon as he calls the witness, as soon as you hear the witness name "your honor I object to this witness being called as he is incompetent" . "He cannot possibly authenticate or lay a foundation for records of OC, as he is not employed there, and they are hearsay and do not meet a business records exception" . 'there is caselaw that supports this as well (Sierra v Hale).

If the judge overrules your objection, then the witness will simply take the stand and attempt to lay a foundation for documents (that you will object to as each document is introduced by the lawyer). Then you will cross examine the witness. When you finish with that; you will ask the judge that witness be impeached and all testimony be stricken from the record.

Makes sense.  I’ll give it a shot.  BTW, for anyone else looking for the full case citation, it’s:  

(Sierra Managed Asset Plan, LLC v David C. Hale 240 Cal. App. 4th Supp. 1; 193 Cal. Rptr. 3d 265; 2015 Cal. App. LEXIS 816).

If it doesn’t help me, maybe it will still help another.  And sometimes, that’s just what it’s all about at the end of the day. :-)

• Like 3

For those who followed this thread, sorry I’ve been away for a while.

Quick update:  After taking the case under submission, the Judge ruled in my favor and I eventually recovered costs for the process server.  It was a tough fight and it really didn’t look good during the Trial.  In the end, I think that asking the Judge for a Statement of Decision and following up with a Post Trial Brief were what saved the day.   Thanks so much to all, especially calawyer, without whom I couldn’t possibly have pulled out the win on this one.    

• Like 3