Hello,

First off, thanks for checking out my post.

I am being sued by Patenaude & Felix for a National Collegiate Loan. This is the first of two loans they have on me, so I suspect the second one is coming.

So far, they have filed the suit on the first loan, but I have not been served yet. The suit is in California.

My co-signer is being sued along with me. I qualify for the court fee waiver, but the co-signer does not. Can I singlehandedly file answers, motions, etc. or do both parties have to (so that the co-signer would have to pay filing fees)?

A local attorney thinks we can settle for $0.50 on the $1 and spread out the payments for possibly 20 years (best case scenario). That would be great, but I don’t know if I will be able to hire them (do not have the fees). Could I get a settlement like that by myself or is a deal like that usually only available when you use an attorney (maybe they fear the attorney or maybe the attorney has settlement prowess that I don’t)?

Should I try and call and see if I can get a settlement offer or would that be detrimental for my situation?

Any help would be beneficial and thanks again.

You can negotiate a settlement without a lawyer. Offer less than 50% and work up to 50%. They may be less likely to accept it since you have a cosigner however.

If you have a fee waiver you can file the motions etc yourself.

• Like 1

Good job. That was probably the best thing you could  do, especially considering that you have a cosigner involved.

• Like 1