Sign in to follow this  
thebigjdoe

Disputing payment history and payment status?

Hi everyone,

I have a few accounts in question with similar questionable reportings  I'll give an example of one:

I think it's easiest to show with an image so I'll attach it.

As far as details, the account was last paid at the end of 2010, and I settled in 2013.  It's weird that it is listed as a charge off at the time i settled.  Also the payment status still says collectin/charged-off even though i settled for less than full.  And the payment history shows all those days late even though they charged off and closed the account at the beginning of 2011.  Should I be disputing this account and the others like it?

post-96004-0-92197200-1446636677_thumb.j

@thebigjdoe

Where does it show that the account was charged off on the date you settled?

A credit report is a history of what took place with an account.  The reason the account still shows that the account was charged off and sent to collection is because that's what happened.  The account was not settled while it was in good standing.

Are the dates of the late or missed payments correct?

@thebigjdoe

Where does it show that the account was charged off on the date you settled?

A credit report is a history of what took place with an account.  The reason the account still shows that the account was charged off and sent to collection is because that's what happened.  The account was not settled while it was in good standing.

Are the dates of the late or missed payments correct?

On an old credit report it shows it was charged off already, a credit report i got when trying to settle them.  I was getting sued for one and wanted to settle to prevent further lawsuits.  Pretty sure it was charged off around 180 days late.  Then they mark late payments and under payment history it actually has the CO notation only once i settled.

edit: it shows it under payment history, May 2013 "CO" but that is when I settled, it was charged off well before that point

CO is both a 'status' and an 'event'.   it may have been placed in a CO status long before the actual CO event.

For accuracy issues such as this, I would not rely on Credit Karma.  I would get a true hard copy of my reports from the CRAs and then see how this is being reported. 

I understand what you are saying, but the only inaccuracy I can see here is that they claim 180 days late each month for a year and a half rather than listing it as a CO.  You can send a dispute for this and I'm 99% sure that the outcome will be that they will completely blank out the calendar status area and leave the information on the left hand side showing a $0, Charged off, Collection and paid for less than full.    This update will have virtually no effect on your credit score.