Sign in to follow this  
Bird123

Sued by Portfolio Recovery (TX)

I was served today at my house in Dallas County for a debt Portfolio Recovery has purchased from GE Money (Walmart) for $966.08. I know I need to answer, but I don't know what to say and how to word it. I found this website just by typing in Google "Portfolio Recovery, Sued, TX" so pardon my ignorance.

Alleged debt timeline: Opened account in July 2011, Charged off August 2013, Assigned September 2013. 

The attorney is Rebecca Holly Currier, 15660 North Dallas Parkway Suite 350, Dallas, TX. 75248 acting on behalf of PFR with the address of Capital Retail Bank (Walmart), 120 Corporate Blvd, Norfolk, VA 23502.

For some odd reason the case was filed in May, in Harris County (Houston) , a place I haven't lived since 2002, at an address I NEVER lived, but I know the address. The court is Precinct 3, Place 1, Justice of the Peace, Judge Mike Parrott.  I went to the court website and the case is there, filed May 3rd, 2015. 

What do I do next?

Help!

Sounds like they may have sued you in the wrong venue. You may be able to turn that around for a bit before they re-file in the right county.

Ok. Should I talk to an attorney at this point? If that is a violation on their part and if that can make this go away somehow, I'll do whatever it takes.

Thanks for your reply!

Go here to find the closest NACA attorney for a free consult (normally) http://www.consumeradvocates.org/they can advise you.

@Bird123

Jerry Jarzombek is one of TX's best consumer lawyers.  Even though I don't live in TX, a few years ago he was nice enough to advise me about a series of illegal debt collection calls I had been receiving

Yes, very good choice.  He is dedicated to defeating JDB's not just negotiating a settlement with them.