I had cancer when I was 20 and was on disability/SSI and almost died during this time. I had a small bill that my parents did not pay of $700(I had no income).

Apparently worldwide asset purchasing opened a lawsuit for collections on this $700 when I was 23(2003). My mom signed for the paper when it was sent and I never knew about it. They didn't pursue anything however.

I am now 35(2015) and out of nowhere they opened the case back up, sued me, and garnished my wages for $2000. Is this legal?? The statute of limitations is 6 years in NJ. I have a lawyer going after them for the violation of the FDCPA, but the judge wouldn't dismiss it for me based on statute of limitations because he said they are allowed to reopen that case from 2003 at any time? The judge said I could file a motion to vacate which would cost $25+ to file...is it even worth it to try to win this or should I just let them garnish the $2000 and be done with it? It isn't even on my credit report.  :(

Guest usctrojanalum

Trying to piece together your information here, but what I **THINK** happened based on your post is that they served you through your mom in 2003, then received a default judgment against you. 

Judgments can be enforced in New Jersey for up to 20 years - that is likely why the judge said they are allowed to garnish your wages now. You could try the motion to vacate, if it is only $25.00 it is worth a shot.  But it would be hard to gauge your ability to be successful.