smrtgeek84

Ex files Joint Debt

What is the best procedure when dealing with a debt that was the result of divorce? The divorce assigned the debt to my ex, but they did not make the payments and the vehicle got repossessed. It is killing my ability to buy a home but I cannot afford to pay off the bad debt and do not feel I should have too. Any advice would be great!!!

What is the best procedure when dealing with a debt that was the result of divorce? The divorce assigned the debt to my ex, but they did not make the payments and the vehicle got repossessed. It is killing my ability to buy a home but I cannot afford to pay off the bad debt and do not feel I should have too. Any advice would be great!!!

This happens often in divorce and the reality is the creditor is not a party to your divorce and regardless of what the divorce decree stated if your name is on the loan and it defaults you get taken down with it.  

You can haul him back into family court on contempt and try and get an order for him to settle this and get it off your credit but as far as forcing the creditor to do something you don't have the leverage due to the fact you are on the loan when it defaulted.