gettingoutofdebt

Is Cavalry Portfolio Services, LLC the same as Cavalry SPV I, LLC?

I'm trying to contact Cavalry SPV I, LLC, but I can't find any contact info. What comes up in a google search is Cavalry Portfolio Services. Is this the same company? I'm trying to contact them to settle a debt. 

Try and keep all the questions in the one thread for simplicity.  It makes things easier to follow.  Get on the court clerk's website and see if you can find out what law firm filed on their behalf.  You can then contact the firm and make a settlement offer if that is what you want to do.

• Like 1

Howdy, 

Why would you contact them?  I'm just wondering.  You have not gotten any info yet about what debt you are being sued over, correct?  Contacting them at this point will not help you.  I understand that this situation scares you, but the worst thing you can do right now is to act on being scared.  You don't know if they have a legitimate claim against you, so why would you want to settle the debt without knowing if it is even a real debt?  And, if so, if they are the right party to collect it?  If you pay the debt to the wrong party, then you just threw money down the drain and you still would owe the original debt.  We have been there, we know you are afraid.  But you are going about this all wrong.  Take a breath.  Find some calm.  Then, contact the court clerk's office and find out some details about what they are doing.  Keep in mind that debt collectors like Calvalry file a ton of debt collection lawsuits, most of them without having one piece of proof that you owe them anything.  They file a ton of lawsuits because most people will get scared and never respond to it, so they win more than 90% of those lawsuits by default.  Don't be so quick to settle, there's a chance that there is no debt for you to settle with them.

Might help if you kept all the posts for the same issue in one thread too.  

Wheels up, 

Stick

• Like 1

Thank you! Sorry for all the posts...I was nervous and looking for a quick answer. I'll delete my other questions. 

The case shows up on case(dot)net in my state, and just says not disposed. I do know what this is referencing, and they have tried to contact me several times to get me to pay, but I always ignored calls because I was scared, and didn't have the money to pay...I know that was unwise, but I didn't know what else to do. 

I was a target credit card holder and got behind on payments, so they turned it over to a collector. So how do I go about finding out information about when the last payment was that I made, and if this is the right collector that I now owe? 

@gettingoutofdebt

As @Clydesmom suggested, since all of your questions are related to the same topic and JDB, it's best to keep all of your questions in one thread.  It just makes it easier for everyone to keep up with your situation.  :-)

Have you been served with a summons and complaint?

@gettingoutofdebt

As @Clydesmom suggested, since all of your questions are related to the same topic and JDB, it's best to keep all of your questions in one thread.  It just makes it easier for everyone to keep up with your situation.  :-)

Have you been served with a summons and complaint?

Yes, sorry about that! I tried to go back and delete my other posts but I an't figure out how! 

No, I have not yet been served. I got back from Christmas vacation and had letters from several law offices in town saying that I have been sued. It does come up on a case.net search and it says the disposition is not disposed, and it's an AC suit on account. 

@gettingoutofdebt

Yes, sorry about that! I tried to go back and delete my other posts but I an't figure out how!

No need to apologize.  It's not a problem.  :-)  If you would like me to delete the other 2 threads, just let me know, and I'll be happy to delete them for you.

In regard to the lawsuit, read your court's rules of civil procedure.  Those rules will let you know how you must be served by the plaintiff.

If you choose, you could go to the courthouse and look in your file.  I'd want to make sure the plaintiff hasn't claimed I've been served when I know that's not the case. 

By looking in your file, you'd also be able to find out the name of the original creditor (OC).  That's necessary in order to determine the date of last payment.   You assume it's Target, but you need to make sure.

Once you know the name of the OC, check your credit report to see if that OC reported and what it reported.  Some creditors will offer the date of last payment.  Others will only offer the date of first delinquency which is not always the same as the date of last payment.  In any case, you'd have an idea of where to start.

What is the SOL in MO?

@gettingoutofdebt

No need to apologize.  It's not a problem.  :-)  If you would like me to delete the other 2 threads, just let me know, and I'll be happy to delete them for you.

In regard to the lawsuit, read your court's rules of civil procedure.  Those rules will let you know how you must be served by the plaintiff.

If you choose, you could go to the courthouse and look in your file.  I'd want to make sure the plaintiff hasn't claimed I've been served when I know that's not the case. 

By looking in your file, you'd also be able to find out the name of the original creditor (OC).  That's necessary in order to determine the date of last payment.   You assume it's Target, but you need to make sure.

Once you know the name of the OC, check your credit report to see if that OC reported and what it reported.  Some creditors will offer the date of last payment.  Others will only offer the date of first delinquency which is not always the same as the date of last payment.  In any case, you'd have an idea of where to start.

What is the SOL in MO?

Thank you so much for your help. :) 

I called the Court Clerk's office and she told me everything that she had available. She said that they have not claimed that I've been served yet, but that I will be. It also was not Target like I had assumed. It was a carecredit card, which is through GE Capital, which is now Synchrony. The SOL in MO is 5 years. 

@gettingoutofdebt

The SOL is based upon the date of last payment.  

The date of first delinquency on your CR is the date you were first delinquent on the account and never brought the account back to a current status.  For instance, let's say you were late or missed a payment on 7/01/2012.   That would be a date of first delinquency.  BUT, the next month you paid the amount required to bring the account back to a current status, so the account was current again.  If you had never missed another payment, that date of first delinquency would not change.

However, let's say you missed a payment or were late again 6 months later on  1/01/2013.  A new date of first delinquency would then be created.   Say you never made any more payments.  The date of last payment would be one month before the date of first delinquency.   Since the account was current when you made your last payment, the SOL would begin on the date the payment was DUE.  That would be the date of first delinquency.

BUT, lets say you made a few small payments after that missed payment on 1/01/2013, but none of those payments brought the account back to a current status.  The date of first delinquency would still remain the same.  However, because you made payments after that delinquency, and because the account was already in default, the SOL would begin the day after your last payment.

Does your CR show the date the account was charged off?

@gettingoutofdebt

The SOL is based upon the date of last payment.  

The date of first delinquency on your CR is the date you were first delinquent on the account and never brought the account back to a current status.  For instance, let's say you were late or missed a payment on 7/01/2012.   That would be a date of first delinquency.  BUT, the next month you paid the amount required to bring the account back to a current status, so the account was current again.  If you had never missed another payment, that date of first delinquency would not change.

However, let's say you missed a payment or were late again 6 months later on  1/01/2013.  A new date of first delinquency would then be created.   Say you never made any more payments.  The date of last payment would be one month before the date of first delinquency.   Since the account was current when you made your last payment, the SOL would begin on the date the payment was DUE.  That would be the date of first delinquency.

BUT, lets say you made a few small payments after that missed payment on 1/01/2013, but none of those payments brought the account back to a current status.  The date of first delinquency would still remain the same.  However, because you made payments after that delinquency, and because the account was already in default, the SOL would begin the day after your last payment.

Does your CR show the date the account was charged off?

It doesn't. It does show that it is Charged off but does not show when. 

So, I guess now I'm just waiting to be served, right? What will I need to do once that finally happens? How long usually until that happens after the suit has been filed?