Harry Seaward

Changes to the board

So far it seems great!

One thing I can't find is the 'simple' text entry box.  There used to be an icon in the old version at the top left of the text entry box that looked like a toggle switch and clicking it to the  down position would disable all of the advanced text features.  I'm probably the only one, but I used this feature quite often.  I'm hoping it's just been moved somewhere and I don't see/recognize it.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

@Harry Seaward It is going to be located in the same spot -- left side where it says "Source" click that and it'll disable all the BBCode settings.

@texasrocker  Signatures are Enabled now :) -- you'll need to edit your profile/signature again, that image doesn't seem to exist anymore. I was going to edit manually for you, but the link is a 404 (non existent...)

Enjoy!

I am having an awfully frustrating time sorting posts and finding past items.    Is there not a page that will simply show me all of the latest posts regardless of topic or subsection it is posted in and whether I previously viewed it or not?

• Like 2

Under my username, I used to be able to see all my notifications, old and new.  Now I cannot find the old notifications.  I also cannot find my previous posts.

• Like 2

Hey guys,

5 hours ago, fisthardcheese said:

I am having an awfully frustrating time sorting posts and finding past items.    Is there not a page that will simply show me all of the latest posts regardless of topic or subsection it is posted in and whether I previously viewed it or not?

All of the recent items/activity is all handled through an Activity Feed that you can setup however you'd like. See this screenshot below... also, you can create a new stream based on whatever criteria you'd like to use.

wi6Tax6.png

4 hours ago, debtzapper said:

Under my username, I used to be able to see all my notifications, old and new.  Now I cannot find the old notifications.  I also cannot find my previous posts.

What information are you exactly trying to find? I just took a look at your  profile and see everything there, you may want to play around with your Profile's notification settings. There are some default limitations to how long they will stay in your notification list.

Again, if you'd like to see all of your content, just use the Activity button found above :)

Also, the "mention" option is missing that used to be under a person's avatar in a thread is also gone (or relocated and I don't see it).

@Harry Seaward

Looking into the Source button so you can remove the formatting by default. I know it's an option for admin, so I'll see if it's something we can grant to all members (no promises)

As for the Mention option, it's now built in. Simply type in "@" and then start typing the person's Display name and a box will come up like this:

@Harry Seaward

1ia0BMR.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dylan Riggs said:

Hey guys,

All of the recent items/activity is all handled through an Activity Feed that you can setup however you'd like. See this screenshot below... also, you can create a new stream based on whatever criteria you'd like to use.

wi6Tax6.png

The problem I am having is that when I click on "content I posted in", I am not seeing everything, even if I hit that expand button at the bottom a million times until it says "no more entries".   Under the "unread content" stream I can see some new activity in threads I have posted in, but they don't show up in "content I posted in".  So, I have to check several feeds to find new activity in threads I previously posted in - and even then I am not sure I am seeing all of them.

@fisthardcheese  When you click Activity and then click on My Activity feed, you will see all of the default streams generated by the software.

At the bottom, you'll see a "Create New Stream" button where you can create a stream to your own liking, dependent on how you want to set it. Including ways to specify topics from the only one member, specifying content from a date range, since your last visit etc. 

Simply do this:

1. Click on Activity

2. Click on Create new stream

3. Specify the content discovery to your liking

HDm0wqD.png

Also, you may edit these streams anytime by viewing the stream and clicking this button here:

FZNzBeS.png

20 hours ago, fisthardcheese said:

Is there not a page that will simply show me all of the latest posts regardless of topic or subsection it is posted in and whether I previously viewed it or not?

Click on "Activity" and t hen click on "All Activity" -- or you can also create a new stream and narrow down those results to only posts/topics etc.JWNGhaX.png

@Dylan Riggs Thank you.  Creating a new stream worked.  Yesterday it seemed as if new activity was not moving to the top (as the newest) in my streams... but it all seems good today.  Thanks again for the detailed explanations!

• Like 1

@Dylan Riggs

Any news on adding the "source" and "delete formatting" options back to the text editor?

Also, can we do something about the ads on the mobile version?  It's essentially unusable for posting:

2016_01_05_11.58.13.thumb.jpg.7e2b308867

And finally, how do we delete attachments?

delete_attachments.thumb.jpg.bc4a89fcbaf

• Like 1

@Harry Seaward

Still looking into the formatting in the editor.

Thanks for pointing out the ad issue. I've been working on the ads the past day and and didn't notice that it's locked with the header as you scroll down.

Again thanks!

• Like 1

I'm having problems getting past the 1st page of some threads.   When I try to go to the next or last page, it shows nothing and just keeps loading.

• Like 1

@BV80

I've addressed the issue when loading other topics. The google ads were breaking that functionality, I used a work around.

@Harry Seaward

Still looking into the formatting buttons and I've disabled the top ad for now until I discuss with the admin(s) on how they want to handle the display of that one.

Regarding attachments - By default, you cannot delete them because of content discovery. This means if you post an attachment in a thread, and then you decided to just delete your attachment later on, the thread's content will be missing. This is bad for SEO and search results, if that makes sense.

This is something I can change though, where you CAN delete it, but I'd advise against that option to them, rather I'd prefer to increase the amount of space for attachments instead. I'll ask and see what they say for you :).

Thanks again

• Like 2

@Dylan Riggs

35 minutes ago, Dylan Riggs said:

I'd prefer to increase the amount of space for attachments instead.

This would be awesome!

Another funky thing just happened.  When I quoted your post, I could not directly delete the "@bv80" and "@harry seaward" thingies.  I had to select everything in the quote box and then delete everything, then go back and copy the part of your post I wanted to quote and paste that back in.

This is another improvement to the system. Rather than having to quote all of the content from a post,  simply highlight that content with your mouse and you will see a little bubble that says "quote this"

That will just quote the selected text. If you quote the whole post, it's essentially taking a snap shot of it.

I can add the recent posts as well. I left options with running the content of the site to the true admins.... I'm just the code guy ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dylan Riggs said:

This is another improvement to the system. Rather than having to quote all of the content from a post,  simply highlight that content with your mouse and you will see a little bubble that says "quote this"

Ah, no mouse on my phone :-D

Good to know for when I'm working from the Bat Cave, though.