mardigrasqueen

Creditors haven't responded to validation request

Creditors haven't responded to debt validation letter, but CB says debt is accurate

I've twice written Calvarly Portfolio Services and Portfolio Recovery (two separate debts), asking for a debt validation. It's been 60 days since the first letter went out and 30 days since the 2nd.

I did not receive a response to either letter.

I disputed the debts, noting that the creditors did not respond to my request for validation. The credit bureaus came back and said their investigation revealed the debts are accurate.

Dealing with another creditor, I was able to get it completely deleted from Transunion and Experian because they did not respond to a validation request. But, Equifax says the debt is accurate.

What should my next step be?

*OAN: I WAS able to get an old First Premier card completely deleted. YAY for that!*

I've never received letters from them! I started the validation process because I stopped being chicken $*** and pulled my credit...that's when I saw the collections listings.

I've gotten 2.75 collection accounts (Equifax keeps verifying one as accurate, hence the .75) removed because the creditors never responded to my validation request. One received my validation request and actually deleted themselves! 

These last 2 accounts are giving me grief. 

Just an FYI on the account open date:  When a debt collector (JDB) provides an open date that's later than the date you opened the account with the original creditor (OC), it's just the date the account was opened in the JDB's files.  It doesn't mean they're claiming you opened the account on that date. 

If they're reporting a later date on your CR, they're not doing anything wrong. 

The balance can increase because a JDB might be allowed to add interest after they purchase the account.   Can you prove the account history is incorrect?

The possible reason Experian and TransUnion deleted an entry might be because the furnisher didn't respond to the dispute but did respond to Equifax. 

Sending a "debt validation" letter out of the blue to a collector is not only pointless, but I believe it to be a bad idea.   I would never want to contact a JDB until and unless they contact me first, and then, my only response to them is a short and simply "I dispute this alleged debt".  Peroid.  The more you talk, the more you will shoot yourself in the foot.

Disputing with the CRAs is perfectly fine.  When they come back "verified", my next step would be to send an MOV letter to the CRAs as a follow up.  The MOV letter should ask the CRA to provide the method used to verify AND for the name, address and phone number of the person who verified the information to the CRA.  They are supposed to provide this information to you within 15 days.

• Like 1