Cheerio

Do I need to respond to RFA, SI, and RFPOD if I'm plaaning on Filing Chapter 7?

After sending out an Answer on 12/23/15, I just received from the Plaintiff the Request for Admissions, Special Interrogatories, and Request For Production Of Documents from Mandarich Law Group for CACH, LLC today.  I just need to buy some time until I can file BK Chapter 7 in April or May.  Do I really need to respond to the RFA, SI, and RFPOD, and what would happen if I don't respond?  I'm located in Sacramento, CA.  Please share your thoughts, experience, and advices.  I would really appreciate it.  Thank you.

Yes, you need to respond.  "Planning" to file isn't filed.  Until the BK petition is actually filed with the court you must defend the lawsuit.  If you don't answer the first thing the Plaintiff will do is motion the court to compel you to answer.  You should also read the paperwork very carefully often times a statement is included that says if you fail to respond the answers are deemed admitted in which case you prove their case for them.

Fortunately for you the trial process on theses cases in California is unbelievably slow compared to most other districts in the country.  Even if you answer now it could still be well after the spring before you ever go to trial.  If you post the things you have to answer here (take out your personal information) we can help you with the answers to buy time.

• Like 1

Thanks Clydesmom.  I am going to definitely file BK, however I am waiting to receive a little income tax refund so that I have enough money to file for BK.  I hear that once a person files for BK it stops all suit.  So if I don't respond and the Plaintiff files a motion with the court, and or deemed admitted, how long before they can actually garnish my paycheck?

Just curious but what will the plaintiff (Attorney) do with the RFA, SI, and RFPOD, investigate?  Will these documents be presented to the court or judge too?  

I'll post up the questions later today when I get home.  Thanks for the help.