Sign in to follow this  
Cheerio

How will my BK effect my spouse?

I am filing for bankruptcy.  My credit card debts incurred after we got married but we do not have any joint accounts.  How will my bankruptcy effect my spouse's bank account and assets that's only in his name? Also, including my husband's income could I still qualify for Chapter 7?  His income is high however, he also has alot of expenses on his own.  Incase I only qualify for a Chapter 13, will our gross or net income be used to calculate my monthly payment? And what can we not deduct as expenses? Federal taxes and other taxes takes a big chunk out of our paychecks.

It is pretty difficult to give you specific answers without a meaningful review of your situation. That said, you will be much better off discussing your concerns with an experienced California bankruptcy attorney. For instance, merely because an asset is titled in one spouses name or the other may not be indicative of whether it is separate or community property in California (it appears you are in California). Please don't undertake such an important event without obtaining qualified counsel.

It's one thing to fight a credit card lawsuit pro se. It is entirely another to try to file for bankruptcy on your own. Do people do it successfully? Yes, but often bankruptcy cases are not successful because the debtor forgot to dot an "i" or cross a "t" on the forms filed with the Court. Better to put together the $1500 or so for the BK attorney to handle your case.