CC954

Hi, I'm desperately in need of some help. I received a civil complaint from Portfolio Recovery Associates saying that they are suing me for a debt i owe from a credit card. First of all, I don't remember receiving anything from them regarding my account or them saying that they are even valid and that I should pay them. From looking online, I see that they aren't exactly the most professional business, so I was wondering if I might be able to get some advice on what I should do and how to deal with them. 

I am definitely going to dispute the debt and ask for them to show me the evidence through my answer to the court. Currently, I'm looking for a lawyer to get some more advice as I'm not too knowledgeable about how all of this works, but even if I can't get one to represent me, I'm going to fight it. For their exhibit (evidence), all they sent me was a statement from my credit card (the statement is from citibank, not even them) from August 2014, and a bill of sale/assignment from citibank dated march of 2015. I can't say for sure if I saw the first statement, but I've definitely never seen the Bill of sale and assignment. 

Thank you in advance for your insight. 

23 minutes ago, CC954 said:

First of all, I don't remember receiving anything from them regarding my account or them saying that they are even valid and that I should pay them.

Few states require that they do this and PA is not one of them.  PRA and many junk debt buyers have stopped sending dunning letters and posting trade lines and opted to go straight to a lawsuit.  The reason is by not sending any letters, making collection calls, or posting the debt to your credit reports they eliminate counter claims against them for violations of Federal law regarding collections.

24 minutes ago, CC954 said:

I am definitely going to dispute the debt and ask for them to show me the evidence through my answer to the court.

You do not do this in your answers.  Well, you dispute the debt in your answer but as for evidence that is part of discovery. 

Is this in Magistrate Court?

How  much are they suing for?

Filing a motion to compel arbitration usually sends PRA packing never to return again.

They're suing for 2,300 plus lawyer expenses (which I assume won't be cheap). I believe it's in magistrate court, but I'm not sure. It's filed as a civil complaint. 

Also, thank you for the information. I'm looking into arbitration options now.