Jump to content

I have a medical collection of $1,787 Optimum Outcomes Inc


noobie757
 Share

Recommended Posts

I was told by a lender friend of mine that if i were to contact them and mail them a check stating "upon cashing this check you will remove this collection from my Credit report".
 Would that acually work? The account was opened Nov 28, 2013. Anyone have any advice?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, noobie757 said:

I was told

These are the most dangerous words in situations like this.

2 minutes ago, noobie757 said:

 Would that acually work?

NO.  Your "friend" is 100% wrong.  It has NOT legally enforceable and many creditor will simply return the check to you until you send one without some statement that creates a controversy.  Most judges have found that statements like this have to be accepted by BOTH parties prior to the payment to be acceptable.  The cashing of the check does not prove that there was an agreement to your expectation of deletion prior to your sending the check.   Also, the creditor can simply write on the check "with recourse" which negates your statement.

3 minutes ago, noobie757 said:

Anyone have any advice?

Yes, send a written letter to the collector offering a "pay for deletion" settlement where they agree upon receiving your payment they will delete the trade line.  You send 2 signed copies of your settlement offer and state that if they agree they sign one and return then you pay in the time frame defined in the settlement offer and they delete in the time frame outlined as well.   Keep in mind you cannot force a creditor to delete a valid trade line and it is NOT a HIPAA violation to report a medical collection despite what you read about fancy methods to threaten a provider with that claim.

 If you are trying to get a mortgage simply having the collection account satisfied would be enough to calm most if not all under writers.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Clydesmom said:

These are the most dangerous words in situations like this.

NO.  Your "friend" is 100% wrong.  It has NOT legally enforceable and many creditor will simply return the check to you until you send one without some statement that creates a controversy.  Most judges have found that statements like this have to be accepted by BOTH parties prior to the payment to be acceptable.  The cashing of the check does not prove that there was an agreement to your expectation of deletion prior to your sending the check.   Also, the creditor can simply write on the check "with recourse" which negates your statement.

Yes, send a written letter to the collector offering a "pay for deletion" settlement where they agree upon receiving your payment they will delete the trade line.  You send 2 signed copies of your settlement offer and state that if they agree they sign one and return then you pay in the time frame defined in the settlement offer and they delete in the time frame outlined as well.   Keep in mind you cannot force a creditor to delete a valid trade line and it is NOT a HIPAA violation to report a medical collection despite what you read about fancy methods to threaten a provider with that claim.

 If you are trying to get a mortgage simply having the collection account satisfied would be enough to calm most if not all under writers.  

Thank you so much, I have two quick questions, will settling on a lower amount hurt my chances of them agreeing to remove it? Also im not sure of the account # and other things related to the account, would I hurt myself by calling and getting that information first?

 

Thank you for the information as well, It sounded to good to be true and that's why I asked before I went any further.  im currently trying to get approved for a down payment assistance program were you cant have any debt or collections greater then 1000 dollars.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, noobie757 said:

will settling on a lower amount hurt my chances of them agreeing to remove it?

No it won't hurt it at all.  Generally most creditors have a policy on removal and it is usually hard line they either will or won't regardless of payment amount.  Medical collections are generally they easiest to do pay for delete with.

9 minutes ago, noobie757 said:

would I hurt myself by calling and getting that information first?

Nope.

9 minutes ago, noobie757 said:

im currently trying to get approved for a down payment assistance program were you cant have any debt or collections greater then 1000 dollars.

Not only will you not get down payment assistance but you won't get the mortgage.  Underwriters won't approve one if there are large collections that could become liens on the property so you would have to deal with this regardless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is the amount they are reporting as owed correct down to the dollar?  If it wasn't (or if there are other errors), I would dispute it with the CRAs and if it comes back verified I would send an MOV request.  I would then pull a new copy of my reports about 30 days after my MOV and see if the collection account hasn't just disappeared and then continue with my application.  Sometimes paying up front isn't the best option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, fisthardcheese said:

Is the amount they are reporting as owed correct down to the dollar?  If it wasn't (or if there are other errors), I would dispute it with the CRAs and if it comes back verified I would send an MOV request.  I would then pull a new copy of my reports about 30 days after my MOV and see if the collection account hasn't just disappeared and then continue with my application.  Sometimes paying up front isn't the best option.

This debt collection is correct in guessing not sure, if I contact the CRA and do the MOV request should I still send a pay to delete letter first?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Clydesmom said:

No it won't hurt it at all.  Generally most creditors have a policy on removal and it is usually hard line they either will or won't regardless of payment amount.  Medical collections are generally they easiest to do pay for delete with.

Nope.

Not only will you not get down payment assistance but you won't get the mortgage.  Underwriters won't approve one if there are large collections that could become liens on the property so you would have to deal with this regardless.

thank you I'm gonna write them P2D letter, should I get it notarized?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, noobie757 said:

if I contact the CRA and do the MOV request should I still send a pay to delete letter first?

I wouldn't.  I try to deal with collections through the CRA only first and don't bother even contacting the collector.  If the dispute and/or MOV is successful, then this will be gone from my reports and I don't need to deal with it unless I start getting a bunch of letters and calls from the collector later.   My goal, other than removal is to get out of it as cheap as possible and $0 is always a good number to me.

1 hour ago, noobie757 said:

This debt collection is correct in guessing not sure

If I were guessing, I would guess there is something incorrect about it.  It is rare to me that a collection TL is ever 100% completely accurate.   And if you don't know, why would you automatically guess against your favor?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, fisthardcheese said:

My goal, other than removal is to get out of it as cheap as possible and $0 is always a good number to me.

This is where @fisthardcheese and I disagree.  He thinks it is perfectly acceptable to receive care from a provider and stiff them on what he owes.  I do not.  I am in the medical field and lost a job along with 75 other people due to patients like him bankrupting our practice refusing to pay their debts.

If you got the care you should pay it.  This isn't a junk debt buyer who paid pennies on the dollar.  This is someone you went to with a medical issue who used their time, knowledge, and experience to take care of you.  If the bill is incorrect fix it but it doesn't give an excuse to refuse to pay the provider.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Clydesmom said:

This is where @fisthardcheese and I disagree.  He thinks it is perfectly acceptable to receive care from a provider and stiff them on what he owes.  I do not.  I am in the medical field and lost a job along with 75 other people due to patients like him bankrupting our practice refusing to pay their debts.

If you got the care you should pay it.  This isn't a junk debt buyer who paid pennies on the dollar.  This is someone you went to with a medical issue who used their time, knowledge, and experience to take care of you.  If the bill is incorrect fix it but it doesn't give an excuse to refuse to pay the provider.

@Clydesmom, I agree with you to the extent that the charges are reasonable for the services provided, and consistent with what others are paying for the same service. What I've seen too often is medical providers charging different rates to different people for the same treatment. One price for insured patients, a different price for cash pay, or for what part of town  you live in (or worse). Balance billing for some patients, not for others. Finally, walking into the office for a procedure you're led to believe is one price, then by the time the all the scavengers take a bite out of your carcass, you're paying three or four times what you expected. Bad business, very bad.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Clydesmom said:

This is where @fisthardcheese and I disagree.  He thinks it is perfectly acceptable to receive care from a provider and stiff them on what he owes.  I do not.  I am in the medical field and lost a job along with 75 other people due to patients like him bankrupting our practice refusing to pay their debts.

If you got the care you should pay it.  This isn't a junk debt buyer who paid pennies on the dollar.  This is someone you went to with a medical issue who used their time, knowledge, and experience to take care of you.  If the bill is incorrect fix it but it doesn't give an excuse to refuse to pay the provider.

Often times it IS a JDB who paid pennies on the dollar.  And regardless, in my cases, insurance paid the overwhelming majority to the medical provider, save perhaps 20% or less.

On top of that, if I have to file BK the medical provider isn't getting anything anyway, so I see no problem with protecting my own credit and future by taking care of it in an alternative way than going BK for extremely inflated medical costs.

I know it is personal for you, @Clydesmom but it is also personal for me that the current medical providers and insurance companies can't even give me a straight answer on the cost of something up front and then stick me with 5 or 6 surprise bills AFTER the fact which were never disclosed no matter how much you attempt to get answers and prepare for the expense, and which are so extreme that my choices are to either use BK to get out from under the medical debt or alternatively have my credit ruined for many years.  I don't feel that is right and I believe I have the right to use consumer laws to my advantage to "fight back" in a way that can help me move on.

Also I will just point out that I, and I'm sure most everyone, pays their medical providers when they can and always have the intentions of paying their portion.  It's when unexpected things happen, or when planned procedures exceed your highest estimates by a lot that I and others are forced to make the alternative choices.  I am not out to stiff anyone for their services, but I am also surely not up for being an indentured consumer at their hands either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, nascar said:

What I've seen too often is medical providers charging different rates to different people for the same treatment.

There is no question that there are providers that do this but it is not 100% across the board that they ALL do this.  I personally have NEVER worked for any provider in 30 years that billed differently based on where the patient lives.  

6 minutes ago, nascar said:

Balance billing for some patients, not for others.

Balance billing used to be a major problem but it is rapidly becoming a thing of the past.  Where it still legally happens is when the patient goes out of network.  When the treatment is out of the preferred network the financial agreement is very clear:  the provider can bill for the balance not covered by insurance.  They can't do it when the contracted rate is defined by the carrier then it is illegal.

8 minutes ago, nascar said:

Finally, walking into the office for a procedure you're led to believe is one price, then by the time the all the scavengers take a bite out of your carcass, you're paying three or four times what you expected.

I agree that it is an issue to not know what the final cost will be but part of this also rests on the patient.  People who ask a litany of questions of their mechanic, lawyer, real estate agent etc. simply take the doctor's word for it and don't bother to question what other services will be involved.  They also don't bother to learn how their insurance works, find out about the network and research lower costs of care as an alternative.  There is NO substitute for being your own best advocate.  However, once you receive the care not doing it doesn't give you a free pass not to pay.

2 minutes ago, fisthardcheese said:

And regardless, in my cases, insurance paid the overwhelming majority to the medical provider, save perhaps 20% or less.

That 20% is the required out of pocket expense for the patient and regardless of what the carrier paid you still owe it.  It is that very attitude of "what the insurance paid was more than enough" that creates this problem to start with.  Providers are LEGALLY required to collect it or it is illegal rebating and they can be sued by your carrier.  Why do you think you should not have to pay your portion that you contractually agreed to with the carrier and in the financial agreement with the provider?

4 minutes ago, fisthardcheese said:

I don't feel that is right and I believe I have the right to use consumer laws to my advantage to "fight back" in a way that can help me move on.

It is not right when you advocate that ALL patients simply not pay via  your methods when you know nothing of their circumstances, what care they received or insurance they have.  You simply don't want to pay and don't think anyone else should either.  You may think healthcare is bad now but it will get much worse with patients having your attitude.  Many providers are going to stop filing insurance and require 100% payment up front and then you as the patient can duke it out with your carrier about what you should get back.  You will appreciate what they do for you a LOT more when you have to do that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Clydesmom said:

t is that very attitude of "what the insurance paid was more than enough" that creates this problem to start with.

That is never my attitude.  I am simply showing that it is not like I am leaving someone stuck with 100% of the bill.  I addressed in my previous reply how I always intend and most of the time do pay my full obligations.  There are rare circumstances that lead to other issues, which is where we get into the disagreement.

3 minutes ago, Clydesmom said:

It is not right when you advocate that ALL patients simply not pay via  your methods when you know nothing of their circumstances, what care they received or insurance they have.

If someone is coming here looking for answers because their credit is ruined or they are being harassed or sued by collectors, then they aren't just someone who is looking to get out of paying.  No one goes through that stress and hassle unless they are forced to for good reason.  So, therefore, I have no problems telling them my experience on how to remove those items from their credit reports and relieve some of their stress or financial strains.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, fisthardcheese said:

I am simply showing that it is not like I am leaving someone stuck with 100% of the bill. 

So sticking them with 20% that you are obligated to pay is okay but 100% isn't?  If the majority of patients of a provider take that attitude how do you expect them to stay in business?

9 minutes ago, fisthardcheese said:

No one goes through that stress and hassle unless they are forced to for good reason. 

BULL.  There are professional deadbeats out there milking the system and you know it.  They are the ones who move into a rental unit and the milk the legal system for months of free rent until the eviction finally happens.  They open multiple credit cards then simply walk away.  There are those who know exactly how to game the system and the problem with some of your efforts is you don't have all the facts and often assume everything someone posts is the absolute truth.  In this case the OP never said they were being harassed or sued.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, noobie757 said:

hey everyone thinks for the information, I just need this to be resolved and hopefully removed which step would accomplish this the fastest?

PFD can be done in as little as 14-30 days.  The dispute method can take 30-90 days if not longer if it doesn't work and you end up back at PFD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Clydesmom said:

BULL.  There are professional deadbeats out there milking the system and you know it.  They are the ones who move into a rental unit and the milk the legal system for months of free rent until the eviction finally happens.  They open multiple credit cards then simply walk away.  There are those who know exactly how to game the system and the problem with some of your efforts is you don't have all the facts and often assume everything someone posts is the absolute truth.  In this case the OP never said they were being harassed or sued.

Sure, some people have bad intentions in every aspect of life.  But that is not going to prevent me from helping others understand their legal rights and options on dealing with credit issues just because once in a while someone might not be completely truthful in expressing their hardships. 

1 hour ago, Clydesmom said:

PFD can be done in as little as 14-30 days.  The dispute method can take 30-90 days if not longer if it doesn't work and you end up back at PFD.

I haven't seen any PDF work in the last 5 years.  But if OP can pull it off, more power to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hey everyone t thank you for the help, I just called the de bt collection place and they say they can't find me in the system, they can't find SSN , PHONE NUMBER OR NAME in thinking that disputing is only opinion now since I can't even do PTD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, noobie757 said:

hey everyone t thank you for the help, I just called the de bt collection place and they say they can't find me in the system, they can't find SSN , PHONE NUMBER OR NAME in thinking that disputing is only opinion now since I can't even do PTD

NOW you dispute it because they cannot verify it.  If they cannot find it in their system that means they no longer have a business relationship with the provider or they never had an account on you.  Either way they cannot verify it to the bureau and if they do it is a violation.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Clydesmom said:

NOW you dispute it because they cannot verify it.  If they cannot find it in their system that means they no longer have a business relationship with the provider or they never had an account on you.  Either way they cannot verify it to the bureau and if they do it is a violation.  

what option do I choose when I dispute on Equifax

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, noobie757 said:

what option do I choose when I dispute on Equifax

Not mine.  They have to prove it is yours not the other way around.  Chances are this will disappear within 30 days when the CA doesn't respond as required or responds it isn't a valid trade line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.