Barclay Card/Northstar Collections

mooie

I currently am paying Northstar $25/mo. for a Barclay Card. I didn't realize that Barclay had never charged off my card until I recently got my credit reports, just showing it closed and late. So I am assuming that it was placed with Northstar for 'in-house'. Northstar is not reporting.  I have been paying this amount for about 15 months now.  The original debt is $21xx and it's down to $1800.

My question is this. What would happen if I were to stop paying Northstar? Would they resume collections or send it back to Barclays?  Let sleeping dogs lie? 

5 hours ago, mooie said:

What would happen if I were to stop paying Northstar?

Most likely Barclay's does charge it off and Northstar starts reporting the collection tanking your credit score.  They sue you for the debt and get a judgment.  

5 hours ago, mooie said:

Would they resume collections or send it back to Barclays?

No way to know for certain.

5 hours ago, mooie said:

Let sleeping dogs lie? 

You:  yes.  Them?  Not likely if you stop paying.

Northstar, so far as I know, are mostly a passive collection agency contracted by OCs.  They don't usually get terribly aggressive.  My experience is that if you don't pay them or respond to their letters, they return the account to the OC who then either farms it out to a new CA or sells it to a JDB.  There is no way to know for sure what will happen on a case by case basis, though.

• Like 1