CANTTAKETHISSTRESS

Social Security number in body of email

I have received a few emails from a debt collection agency without a contact phone number.

My concern is 

They put my social security number in big fonts throughout the body of the email. I don't owe anyone the amount they are requestion.

It is very scary knowing that someone is blasting my social all over the internet. What (if anything) can I do?

Unfortunately these are probably scammers.  Few if any legitimate debt collectors will contact you by email.  Your information was likely phished from the internet some how and they are hoping to scare you into paying.

Put a freeze on your credit reports.  Block and report the email address to your and their ISP.  Most of all:  DO NOT pay them!!  Notify friends/family that you have been targeted by scammers in case they try to frighten them into paying on your behalf.  Last:  do not worry.  They are looking for low hanging fruit that scares easily and will pay.  Once they realized you won't they will simply find another target.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Clydesmom said:

Unfortunately these are probably scammers.  Few if any legitimate debt collectors will contact you by email.  Your information was likely phished from the internet some how and they are hoping to scare you into paying.

Put a freeze on your credit reports.  Block and report the email address to your and their ISP.  Most of all:  DO NOT pay them!!  Notify friends/family that you have been targeted by scammers in case they try to frighten them into paying on your behalf.  Last:  do not worry.  They are looking for low hanging fruit that scares easily and will pay.  Once they realized you won't they will simply find another target.

Thank you Clydesmom :) 

Thank you for your input, I figured it was a scam. My main concern is my social security number all over the place.

Keeping emails in case there is a problem later.