Sign in to follow this  
shatteredfx718

General Bankruptcy Question

I apologize, if this question been answered million times here, but how soon after a person files Chapter 7 Bankruptcy he/she does get credit card offers or how soon can a person apply for a secure credit card to build credit,   Once, again I do apologize if this been answered a million times.

You could start getting car loan offers with weeks, even days, of filing. As for attempting to get cards, at least try to wait until  the ink dries  on your discharge.

thank you so much for the reply.. I am sorry if it been answered a million times on this forum about my question so a safe rule of thumb would be probably like a month or 3 months to be safe to apply for a secure card.

After I discharged my BK, I applied for a secured credit card from my bank within a few months. They approved me right away, they just need money as collateral. Within 6 months I applied for a capital one card with $1,000 unsecured line and was approved. I believe after the 1 year mark (and never missed any payments), my secured card was upgraded to an unsecured card. And it's almost like a savings account because you get your money back that they held on to. Hope that helps.