How to remove paid Verizon Wireless collection

Sinjin

I recently went through a separation and was no longer living in my home.  During that time she cancelled our Verizon account.  This was mid-late 2015.  I was unaware of any owed balance until it hit my credit report on 4/4/2016.  I paid in full on 4/5/2016.  They refused my offer of pay for delete.  I have since resolved the separation and moved back into the home, and was in the middle of a refinance of my mortgage.  Since my credit score dropped 100 points, I am not able to complete the refi.  I called and spoke with a "supervisor" after the debt was paid in full, to see if they would delete.  No luck.  I have sent goodwill letters to executives, including the president, VP of operations and regional VP of the southeast.  A rep from their executive relations team called and told me they would not remove the TL. 

At this point I'm desperate.  Is there any way to get this removed from my CR?  I think I remember signing something stating I wouldn't arbitrate when we got the phones, but I will have to find that paperwork.  Would arbitration work, or a dispute with the BBB?

2 hours ago, Sinjin said:

Is there any way to get this removed from my CR?

No.  There is no magical method to remove a valid trade line.  You have done all you can do and some companies have a hard line stance against removing accurate valid trade lines.

Would arbitration work,

I doubt it.  What is your dispute?  There is no legal basis to force them to remove a valid trade line.

or a dispute with the BBB?

Doubt that works either.  They will simply respond that you have contacted them multiple times and you know the answer. 

1 hour ago, Sinjin said:

Thanks for the reply.  I should have known not to pay it, but I panicked due to the refi.  It never pays to do the right thing with these people.

In the long run, a paid collection looks better than one that is unpaid because it shows future creditors that you do your best to pay your bills. 

Hello, I don't know about Verizon. However I recently had a medical bill, that went into collection. What I did was make a full payment, made a second phone call after payment was posted. Kindly stated that during the period that my bill went into collection, I was in the process of moving. And I was unaware of any notices that was sent to my previous address. When calling make sure you had the address you moved to, also let them know you are still at the new address and not your old address. They may ask for the new address you moved to make sure you have it handy. At no point state that you moved back to your old address because that may raise a red flag, state you are still at your new address you move to, and you weren't aware of the collection until you recently checked your credit report and as soon as it came to your attention you made a full payment, and kindly ask if they can do you the courtesy of removing  the collection as it was an oversight due to you changing address. If that does not work, you may have to sign up for a credit website where you can dispute the collection. Stating bill was sent after change of address that should be an option. If you have any mail sent to the address you were at that maybe of some help to you. Since I believe they now allow you to send in proof if needed, only send if requested.

One more thing I forgot if you knew when this bill was initially sent or went in collection make sure you stated you moved 3-4 months in advance of bill.  Say the notices started in June 2015. State you moved in January-February.  And since you initially did move this should be no problem.

Best of luck hope this help.

6 hours ago, CommoSGT said:

@fisthardcheese  Counts as a violation if they aren't reporting it closed and paid right?

If it is not reported as such, the first step is to dispute the inaccuracy with the CRAs.  It is not a violation of the FCRA unless the dispute comes back "verified" with the incorrect information remaining on the TL.