Medical Debt Collections Questions

Chills22

I have a bit of a unique situation. My daughter from a previous relationship is covered under my new wife's insurance. My daughter is 15 and it has been this way for at least 10 years. She is in the system and sees the same physician and it has never been an issue. Last year her mother took her to her same doctor to get a physical for school sports and a vaccination shot, just a typical appointment that should have been a $20 - $40 co-pay and covered. She also had an allergic reaction with me and I had to take her to the emergency room to be seen. Again, they had her insurance on file and I believe I paid a co-pay or they may have even said we didn't even owe one. I can't recall. 

Well a few months ago I received a bill from the hospital saying that I owed $1,400. Of course I was shocked so I knew I needed to call them to straighten it out. This is completely my fault but I had a lot of things going on and completely forgot to contact them. Now I have received a debt collection letter from CMRE Financial Services regarding the debt saying I need to pay the $1,400 plus a little more than $2 in interest.

I am not sure what to do since this should not be my debt it should have been covered by insurance like it always is. I don't know why the medical provider did not use our insurance in this case.

I appreciate any help or advise you can give. 

1 hour ago, Chills22 said:

I don't know why the medical provider did not use our insurance in this case.

The provider is not required to file a claim with your insurance but most do as a courtesy to the patient.  Once you got a bill stating you owed money you could have filed a claim with your carrier on your own once you discovered they had not done so.  I would try to file a claim ASAP.  The problem you are facing is that there is a time limit to submit them and if you have exceeded it they do not have to pay the claim.

1 hour ago, Chills22 said:

I am not sure what to do since this should not be my debt it should have been covered by insurance

It very much is your debt as the child received the care.  It is very much possible that they did file a claim and this is your out of pocket portion.  ER visits for an allergic reaction are not cheap. If insurance doesn't cover the care you still are responsible for the bill because before they ever touched your daughter you signed a financial guarantee that states if insurance doesn't pay the claim you will.  Having insurance is not a guarantee of payment or coverage.