Questions about JAMS--can't find answers

anebturia

My motion to compel arb was granted by judge.

I have all the paperwork together, except the cover letter. Here are my questions:

1. What do I send the attorney? Do I just send the Demand for Arb or do I send him the cover letter also?

2. Regarding service:  Do I send the green card to JAMS, or will a copy of it suffice?

3. Do I still need to send a certificate of service with the green card?  I can't find a sample.

4. The crdit card agreement says;" However, we will advance or reimburse your fees if the arbitration firm determines there is good reason for requiring us to do so."  I put on my cover letter a request for the attorney to advance fess due to my currently being unemployed.   Is this okay for now, that is, to ask JAMS to make such a decision? 

This is a credit card debt.  The attorney represents a JDB. 

Thank to everyone.

Follow the JAMS demand instructions and you should be fine. http://www.jamsadr.com/files/Uploads/Documents/JAMS_Arbitration_Demand.pdf

Copy of certified mail receipt is fine. If the demand has the court case number in it, that's enough for the attorney to know what this pertains to. What you have asking for fees is good enough. JAMS will also contact the Plaintiff and you'll be contacted with status updates.

Do you have an upcoming status hearing date?

• Like 1

1.  Cover letter just goes to JAMS.  I only sent the 6 page Demand form to the attorney.

2.  Photocopy is fine, and preferable.

3.  Proof of Service for what?  If you've got the green card for the Demand that you've sent to their attorney, that's all you need to photocopy and send to JAMS.

4.  Not sure.  You can call JAMS and ask what their policy is regarding this.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to all who responded. I just received a letter from JAMS, standard boilerplate, that " JAMS has determined that JAMS Policy on Consumer Arbitrations Pursuant to Pre-Dispute clauses Minumum Standards of Procedural Fairness applies." 

Then they sent a copy of consumer rules, such as I can pick my hometown, my fees are capped at $250, etc.  

What happens next?  I asked that the JDB pay my fees upfront, but JAMS didn't send a bill or mention payment.

What is going to happen next?

Each side should get an invoice in the mail showing how much is due by each party, along with what's been paid. You should have received contact detail for the JAMS rep who will be handling administration of the case if you feel something was missed such as your employment status.

The crdit card agreement says;" However, we will advance or reimburse your fees if the arbitration firm determines there is good reason for requiring us to do so."  I put on my cover letter a request for the attorney to advance fess due to my currently being unemployed.   Is this okay for now, that is, to ask JAMS to make such a decision? 

"Each side should get an invoice in the mail showing how much is due by each party, along with what's been paid."

"You should have received contact detail for the JAMS rep who will be handling administration of the case....... "

CCRP, thanks.   I didn't get an invoice, nor did I get a name of the JAMS rep.  

Shoud I just wait now for JAMS to send something (whatever it is they're supposed to send),  or should I send in the formal complaint with the $250 to make sure the court knows I'm "moving" with this. 

You may want to give JAMS a call to see where this is in the timeline and if they need anything else from you.  There isn't a case reference number or anything?

If you have an upcoming court status date, I'd just take in all the JAMS paperwork you have at that time to show you're proceeding with arbitration, just waiting for them to process everything.