Sued by Citi in Florida

Letters from bankruptcy lawyers have arrived, notifying me of my first lawsuit...

The papers haven't been served yet, I've just been watching the start of this using the court's online system.

And the case is for ~$7,000, plaintiff is Citi, lawyer is in Florida, where I live.

Last Dec I sent a DV letter (without requesting arb, which I had no idea about at the time).  The response was a handful of statements.

One [potential] wrinkle is I also sent a DV letter to Citi directly, requesting my contract and objecting to the total amount they say I owe. The only response was the last statement.

Now, I've been reading through threads here on the board and elsewhere. And for someone completely new to this challenge, it's tough to make sense of what steps to take. (And I cannot afford a lawyer).

Your help is greatly appreciated, even if it's links to past threads/posts which may be relevant - I've already been using the search feature extensively.

File a complaint today online with the CFPB stating Citibank has refused to provide your cardmember agreement. You can see Citi has recordkeeping issues.

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

http://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/201602_cfpb_consent-order-citibank-na.pdf

Right now you have plenty of time. They have to serve you first with the summons and complaint then you have time to answer it.