FightingBackinAZ

JDB Lawyers and Credit Report Access

I'm new to this site and am having a hard time figuring out what falls within the legal realm.  I've been served by a large JDB (prefer not to enter names as I know they review this information).  I looked at my credit report and noticed the lawyers they have hired have made inquiries into my credit report.  I was under the impression that only certain "types" such as creditors, employers (with permission), landlords, etc were allowed to do so and as debt collectors are not considered creditors they could not do so.  Maybe I misunderstood, so will someone please put legal verbiage into plain English for me?  I'd really appreciate it.

18 minutes ago, FightingBackinAZ said:

I'm new to this site and am having a hard time figuring out what falls within the legal realm.  I've been served by a large JDB (prefer not to enter names as I know they review this information).  I looked at my credit report and noticed the lawyers they have hired have made inquiries into my credit report.  I was under the impression that only certain "types" such as creditors, employers (with permission), landlords, etc were allowed to do so and as debt collectors are not considered creditors they could not do so.  Maybe I misunderstood, so will someone please put legal verbiage into plain English for me?  I'd really appreciate it.

Debt collectors are allowed to view credit reports in order to review a collection account.

15 U.S. Code § 1681b - Permissible purposes of consumer reports

(a) In generalSubject to subsection (c), any consumer reporting agency may furnish a consumer report under the following circumstances and no other:

(3) To a person which it has reason to believe—
(A) intends to use the information in connection with a credit transaction involving the consumer on whom the information is to be furnished and involving the extension of credit to, or review or collection of an account of, the consumer;