Hello guys and gals,

My wife is currently establishing credit due to her being from a different country. She has no history but her current score is a 670 from a credit card that she opened. She needs a vehicle and she will need a loan to establish credit variety. Due to her lack of history she will need me to Co-sign for her to obtain the loan. My current score is a 655 and I've had a rough patch when I was younger, BUT I have been working on my score for about two years with nothing but positive marks. So I guess my question is, Will my negative history affect her credit score? Or will it transfer to her credit report?  I have three derogatory accounts but they have been closed. Thanks for the help in advance.

I apologize if this topic has already been discussed. I searched for a similar topic and could not find one that answered my question.

I am from Michigan if that helps anything.

1 hour ago, kcochran01 said:

So I guess my question is, Will my negative history affect her credit score?

No your scores are separate even if you are married.

Or will it transfer to her credit report?

No.

Due to her lack of history she will need me to Co-sign for her to obtain the loan.

Maybe.  Both of you are what is probably Tier 2 credit when it comes to auto loans.  More than likely you will get interest rates around 10-14%.  I would start with your local credit union or where you bank.  As a customer you are likely to get a better rate with a pre-approved purchase amount than if you go straight to the dealer.  Once you co-sign the loan will appear as a trade line on both your credit reports and any default, late payment etc. affects both of you.