Sign in to follow this  
moodring

Midland Credit Management Inc

Back in 2013, I opened a Citi Bank card, but due to an accident on the job i was unable to keep up with my monthly payments.  I found this forum, because i got a letter in the mail from MCM wanting to sue me over this debt.  I sent them a validation request letter using the template from the forum, but MCM sent me a letter back requesting my assistance in validating the debt.  I don't know what to do, and I don't know how to respond to their request.  Can you please help me?

Moodring

55 minutes ago, moodring said:

I sent them a validation request letter using the template from the forum

Sadly that template is RIDDLED with errors but there is not much harm in using it.

55 minutes ago, moodring said:

MCM sent me a letter back requesting my assistance in validating the debt. 

Of course they did.  Midland is hoping you will give them the evidence they need to sue you.  Do NOT fall for it.  The burden is on them to prove the debt is yours not the other way around.  

56 minutes ago, moodring said:

I don't know what to do, and I don't know how to respond to their request.  Can you please help me?

You immediately file a case with the CFPB Complaint division stating that you requested validation from Midland and they refused to validate and have attempted to shift the burden to the consumer in violation of their settlement with the agency.  Then send a letter to Midland stating you received their request for assistance and have opened a complaint with the CFPB #xxxxxxxxx and have asked them to aid Midland in their inability to validate a debt they are trying to collect.  Make sure you upload a copy of that letter from Midland asking you to validate to the complaint.  

Then sit back and watch as Midland folds up their tents and slinks away.