SAHMdawn

Being sued by portfolio recovery systems in Kaufman county

Good morning,

I've attached the petition that I received taped to my door about being sued by this collection company.  I have to answer within 14 days and I have no idea how to answer in a professional way but also a way that I don't mess up and make me lose the case as well.  The court suggested I contact the lawyer on the last page and work out an agreement to drop the case and I settle the debt.  After reading numerous sites about this company, I'm not seeing anyone suggesting that since this company is bad about never stopping to collect until they get the whole amount they are asking for.  Then continues to sue until it's fully paid for.  Is it better to contact them and pay the debt or fight it out in court?  I really don't have the money to hire a lawyer.  The amount they claim I owe is $880.  Anyone have any advice on this and has anyone ever won against this company or settle the debt with a success?

portfolio recovery lawsuit.pdf

33 minutes ago, SAHMdawn said:

The court suggested I contact the lawyer on the last page and work out an agreement to drop the case and I settle the debt.

Of course the court did because they would rather not have to do it themselves.  DO NOT follow this advice.

34 minutes ago, SAHMdawn said:

I have to answer within 14 days and I have no idea how to answer in a professional way but also a way that I don't mess up and make me lose the case as well.

Its Justice Court you don't need fancy legalese to fill out the preprinted form they sent you for an answer.  A simple denial is sufficient.

34 minutes ago, SAHMdawn said:

Is it better to contact them and pay the debt or fight it out in court?

It is WAY better to fight them.  PRA is easily beatable and is under a consent judgment with the CFPB for their collection/lawsuit tactics.

35 minutes ago, SAHMdawn said:

Anyone have any advice on this and has anyone ever won against this company or settle the debt with a success?

LOTS of people have beat them and very easily.  The easiest way for you is that you notify the attorney named in that suit that you are electing JAMS arbitration per the terms of the contract agreement (I noticed they referenced Synchrony) and then in your answer you deny owing PRA anything, that you have never had an account with them or made payments to them, and that if the alleged account is governed by a Synchrony card agreement you are electing JAMS arbitration therefore the court does not have jurisdiction.  

There are A LOT of Texas threads here that can show you exactly how to defeat them yourself.  Start searching and reading.

• Like 2
On 8/5/2016 at 9:55 AM, Clydesmom said:

Of course the court did because they would rather not have to do it themselves.  DO NOT follow this advice.

Its Justice Court you don't need fancy legalese to fill out the preprinted form they sent you for an answer.  A simple denial is sufficient.

It is WAY better to fight them.  PRA is easily beatable and is under a consent judgment with the CFPB for their collection/lawsuit tactics.

LOTS of people have beat them and very easily.  The easiest way for you is that you notify the attorney named in that suit that you are electing JAMS arbitration per the terms of the contract agreement (I noticed they referenced Synchrony) and then in your answer you deny owing PRA anything, that you have never had an account with them or made payments to them, and that if the alleged account is governed by a Synchrony card agreement you are electing JAMS arbitration therefore the court does not have jurisdiction.  

There are A LOT of Texas threads here that can show you exactly how to defeat them yourself.  Start searching and reading.

Thank you both for your input.  I have read several posts with @texasrocker and I have the general denial answer ready to be mailed but I'm a little confused on the answer from @Clydesmom to   The easiest way for you is that you notify the attorney named in that suit that you are electing JAMS arbitration per the terms of the contract agreement (I noticed they referenced Synchrony) and then in your answer you deny owing PRA anything, that you have never had an account with them or made payments to them, and that if the alleged account is governed by a Synchrony card agreement you are electing JAMS arbitration therefore the court does not have jurisdiction.  So do I file the answer of denial with the court and the attorney then send another letter letting them know I am electing the JAMS arbitration?  Do I send that to the court as well?