Joel

Portfolio recovery calling my vonage number

Hello,

We switched to Vonage a couple years ago and since then, have gotten calls from Portfolio Recovery Associates almost daily.  We've never once answered their calls, and only recently did I bother to look up what they were.

I'm assuming they're trying to reach someone else - if it were me, I imagine I'd have seen mail, since we've lived at our address much longer than we've had the number.  Given that they started calling immediately after we got the Vonage number, I'm inclined to ignore it and am thinking of just changing my VOIP number.  I don't want to talk to them, for fear of getting them off my back means giving them information about me that they can use to their advantage.

I hate to ignore something like that, but I don't have any way to confirm that I have any outstanding debt that they could have purchased without actually talking to them (and risk becoming responsible for someone else's debt, or having to fight a legal battle for nothing).

Any thoughts?

You are not responsible for the debts of another person by simply talking to these people. If they are calling for another person, tell them that you are not that person and you do not know who they are. If they try to stay on for a lengthy conversation, end the call yourself. If they keep calling, send a C&D letter via the mail. As for a lawsuit, I think PRA is under a CFPB memorandum where they have to have proof they are suing the correct individual for a valid debt before they start suit.

1 hour ago, Joel said:

I don't have any way to confirm that I have any outstanding debt that they could have purchased without actually talking to them (and risk becoming responsible for someone else's debt, or having to fight a legal battle for nothing).

You do have a way to check.  Pull your credit reports and see if PRA is even reporting or if any creditors of defaulted account state they sold it to them.

Second:  simply speaking to them to determine they are looking for Juan Valdez does not make you responsible for Juan's debt.  Nor would you have to fight a legal battle simply because you attempted to determine why they are calling your number. 

Changing your number won't stop them from calling if they are indeed looking for you.  I would simply find out why they are calling then send a cease and desist.  If they keep calling you sue them for violating the cease and desist.