Sent to collections already?

cbusch

I had my car repaired by an auto body shop that was partners with GEICO.  Needless to say they were quite awful enough for me not to use them again, however, I thought I might have gotten lucky with their stupidity when GEICO had given me a check (for the esitmate minus my deductible) and the auto shop only charged me for my deductible.  

Almost a week later they caught on ( i can only assume it was when GEICO said they weren't paying the cost twice) . Anyway, they have now called me three times but I've refused to answer. The last message they left, they said they would be sending it to a collection agency. It will have been three weeks since I paid my deductible and got my car back that they would send to to collections. I have not received one bill or any written notice from them what so ever.

So here's my question: Can they send it to collections when it has only been three weeks and I received no written notice or bill to pay?

Also, if they can and do send it to collections and I pay the collection agency right away, is it still reported to my credit report?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, cbusch said:

Can they send it to collections when it has only been three weeks and I received no written notice or bill to pay?

Yes.  There is nothing in the law that says they can't.  Not to mention you don't have any valid legal reason to withhold the check GEICO intended for them.

1 hour ago, cbusch said:

Also, if they can and do send it to collections and I pay the collection agency right away, is it still reported to my credit report?

It can be reported as a paid collection.

1 hour ago, cbusch said:

Needless to say they were quite awful enough for me not to use them again,

Your recourse if you are not happy with their work is to get several estimates as to why it was not up to standard and the cost to repair their shoddy work then sue them not with hold the payment they are legally entitled to from GEICO.