Sent dispute letter to collection agency - failed to report as in dispute - Can I sue?

mosinnagant

I checked my credit report a while back and noticed a collection agency reporting a debt I don't believe I owe ( an old cable bill I paid off). I sent them a dispute letter via certified mail and received the return receipt a couple weeks ago. It is my understanding that they are required to mark my credit report as "in dispute" while they investigate.  As of today they have not.  Do I have grounds to sue them under the FCRA? Should I wait the full 30 days and see what happens? Do I have to send dispute letters to the CRAs before I can sue the collection agency?

10 hours ago, mosinnagant said:

It is my understanding that they are required to mark my credit report as "in dispute" while they investigate.  As of today they have not. 

You don't know they haven't notified the bureau(s) yet.  It can take anywhere from 30-60 days for the bureau(s) to update despite what credit monitoring sites tell you.

Do I have grounds to sue them under the FCRA?

There is no private right of action under the FCRA.

Do I have to send dispute letters to the CRAs before I can sue the collection agency?

You should read both the FDCPA and FCRA and learn their processes in full before you attempt a lawsuit.