Sign in to follow this  
DL0666

Early stage collections - need advice fast please!

Hello, thank you for reading my post.  I'll try to be brief and I hope you can help me.

I received a letter/bill from a collection agency in October.  Two weeks later I got a letter/bill from the original creditor.  I telephoned the OC and they said the bill had gone

to collections on September 29th, but they started talking to me about making payment arrangements, so they seem to still "own" the debt. 

I am desperate to keep my credit report as clean as possible.  I'll pay in full immediately if necessary.  I don't know whom to pay, I don't know if it has hit my report yet etc.

I'm afraid to delay further while I order credit reports, etc.  Should I just offer to pay the OC in full?  Do I need to try to negotiate a Pay for Delete? 

Also, this bill is for unpaid Medicare insurance premiums.  I was wondering if that means it is a medical bill and won't count on my credit report as per new FICO rules...? 

I really appreciate the advice of anyone who answers.  I'll be glad to clarify anything and anyone is welcome to send me a private message.   Thanks so much again.

43 minutes ago, DL0666 said:

I'm afraid to delay further while I order credit reports, etc.  Should I just offer to pay the OC in full?  Do I need to try to negotiate a Pay for Delete? 

Paying the OC is always better than paying a collection agency.  If they have not reported it there is no point in negotiating a pay for delete.  You can look on a site like Credit Karma and determine if it is reporting now.  If it isn't there odds are pretty good it isn't on a hard copy. 

44 minutes ago, DL0666 said:

Also, this bill is for unpaid Medicare insurance premiums.  I was wondering if that means it is a medical bill and won't count on my credit report as per new FICO rules...? 

I do not believe premiums count as medical care as far as credit reporting is concerned.  I know they are not counted as medical care by IRS rules for money spent towards a deductible and medical tax deductions.  

"If they have not reported it there is no point in negotiating a pay for delete"

Yes, that is what is confusing me.  From the info I provided, does it sound like they own the debt and have not reported it yet? 

Are there other sites along with Credit Karma  that I could check in order to verify it hasn't appeared yet?

If it does appear, there, would my next step be trying for "pay for delete"?

Thank you.

18 hours ago, DL0666 said:

From the info I provided, does it sound like they own the debt and have not reported it yet? 

Yes.

18 hours ago, DL0666 said:

Are there other sites along with Credit Karma  that I could check in order to verify it hasn't appeared yet?

CK covers Equifax and TransUnion.  There is no free site I am aware of that covers Experian.  You can simply view your credit report on line at Experian's site to see if it is reporting.