BrotherAviation

Collections and Pre-Employment Credit Checks

I currently have 6 collections accounts on my report resulting from medical debt. I’m going through the pre-employment process at a big firm and the compliance department brought them up. They are asking me what I intend to do to resolve them. All of the accounts show open dates of either 8/2012 or 11/2012. I live in Florida, and I know the SOL is either 4 or 5 years. What are my options at this point? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2 hours ago, BrotherAviation said:

What are my options at this point?

Well this statement pretty much sums it up:

2 hours ago, BrotherAviation said:

They are asking me what I intend to do to resolve them.

This isn't a credit issue as much as it is an employment issue.  If financial responsibility is a key part of the job you will be doing then the employer has every reason to ask why you have unresolved debt that is years old and how you intend to get it taken care of.  If you want the job then you are going to have to settle the accounts.  Whether the provider can or will sue you is irrelevant because the SOL for reporting the collections is 7 years past when the care was received so the accounts can remain on your report until 2019.  The issue here is it could take anywhere from 6 to 12 months to dispute the debts and get them deleted without paying and no employer is going to wait that long to hire you.  

At the very least they are going to want to see them as paid collections or for you to show them proof you have settled the accounts.  So your options are to pay them and take the job if they offer it, do nothing and risk not getting the job, or pass on the job and work on getting them removed and keep searching for employment where this isn't an issue.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Clydesmom said:

Well this statement pretty much sums it up:

This isn't a credit issue as much as it is an employment issue.  If financial responsibility is a key part of the job you will be doing then the employer has every reason to ask why you have unresolved debt that is years old and how you intend to get it taken care of.  If you want the job then you are going to have to settle the accounts.  Whether the provider can or will sue you is irrelevant because the SOL for reporting the collections is 7 years past when the care was received so the accounts can remain on your report until 2019.  The issue here is it could take anywhere from 6 to 12 months to dispute the debts and get them deleted without paying and no employer is going to wait that long to hire you.  

At the very least they are going to want to see them as paid collections or for you to show them proof you have settled the accounts.  So your options are to pay them and take the job if they offer it, do nothing and risk not getting the job, or pass on the job and work on getting them removed and keep searching for employment where this isn't an issue.

I was told this was the very beginning of the process, and the people that I've talked to so far hinted as if there wasn't even a guarantee that I would be hired in the event that I got these taken care of. The debts add up to a little over $5,000. That's a significant amount of money to be throwing at something with no definitive outlook. Would the time passed still give me leverage to negotiate the debt with the collection agency? How would one go about verifying the agency and getting more information about what is owned? This is my first time dealing with anything of this sort. 

13 hours ago, BrotherAviation said:

Would the time passed still give me leverage to negotiate the debt with the collection agency?

Yes.

13 hours ago, BrotherAviation said:

How would one go about verifying the agency and getting more information about what is owned?

Start with what is reporting.  It should list who the CA is and their contact information.  Then DV the CA and as who the provider is/was and how much is owed.  I would then contact the provider and try to settle directly with them.  

On 1/13/2017 at 11:08 PM, Clydesmom said:

Yes.

Start with what is reporting.  It should list who the CA is and their contact information.  Then DV the CA and as who the provider is/was and how much is owed.  I would then contact the provider and try to settle directly with them.  

I would deal directly with the providers after contacting the CA? I'm under the impression that they CA owns the debt now based on what I've seen them doing over time with dropping then re-adding the collections accounts. 

7 hours ago, BrotherAviation said:

I would deal directly with the providers after contacting the CA? I'm under the impression that they CA owns the debt now based on what I've seen them doing over time with dropping then re-adding the collections accounts. 

Collection agencies typically collect on behalf of the provider and are paid either a flat fee or percentage of the amount collected to get it paid by the consumer/patient.  They do not buy the debt.  Junk Debt Buyers purchase the debt outright from the provider and then you would have to deal with them.

Start with the provider for each account and ask if the account is in collections.  If it has been sold they are required to tell you.