creditsamurai

Getting a debt collector to back off

I am judgement proof ( no income beyond social security) and am being pursued in court by a junk debt buyer.  I've considered calling them up and letting them know that taking me to court would end poorly for them. Should I? 

If they're pursuing you in court, it sounds like they've already taken you to court. At that point, they've already spent all they are likely to spend trying to get their judgment so I don't see telling them to back off as likely being very effective.

Also, if you truly are "judgment proof", there's no real need to tell them to back off, since the judgment they are likely to win will be worth less than toilet paper.  Sometimes a debt collector will get the judgment anyways, in the hopes that the consumer's situation will change, or that they might have some real property that the debt collector can put a lien on. 

15 hours ago, kraftykrab said:

Sometimes a debt collector will get the judgment anyways, in the hopes that the consumer's situation will change, or that they might have some real property that the debt collector can put a lien on.

This right here.  If getting them to back off were as easy as telling them they're reaching into an empty bag, then all anyone would have to do is tell them they're reaching into an empty bag.