house 3 years after foreclosure and old collections

IrishDMBF7

So, a little of my history.  I got foreclosed upon 3 years ago.  Only my name was on the loan, not my spouse. I have about half a dozen collections on my credit report from around the time of the foreclosure that are unpaid.  I have a car loan with a $400 a month payment, again only in my name but no lates.   Student loans are deferred because I am in school right now.  I have no credit card.  

My spouse has a credit card with low utilization and also about half a dozen collections some of which are on both reports.

We are at the 3 year point after a foreclosure where we want to buy a house but are unsure how to proceed. Both of our scores are around the 600 mark.  I know paying off the collections won't help our scores as they are older. Disputes are in with the credit bureaus. What else can we do?