Long story short, I was doing a friend a favor and did a contract for deed (paperwork written up by a lawyer). Well, it ended up in foreclosure and listed on my CR in 2013. So now I'm trying to get a mortgage and was asked when the sheriff's sale date was. Honestly, I didn't have one because the bank or lawyer did not contact me by phone or mail. So I called the sheriff's office, nothing. Finally ended up at the circuit clerks office in which she said "Well that's weird". Your house didn't sell. There is a dismissal order without prejudice signed by the judge on Feb 19th, 2013. She said don't ask me what what it means because I honestly don't know. So my question is, is this too old to report to the CB's? Could it possibly improve my score hopefully?? Has anyone else experienced this? Thank you very much!, Wendy

Hi Wendy, 

If you have an order dismissing the lawsuit without prejudice, that means that there was never a judgment against you.  I would get a copy of that dismissal from the court clerk's office and provide a copy to whoever it is you are trying to get financing with now.  I would also dispute the reporting with the CRAs directly if they are not reporting that the case was dismissed.  Being that it was dismissed, really, there should be nothing reporting on your file as far as the foreclosure lawsuit, a dismissal without prejudice is as though the lawsuit did not happen.

• Like 1

I'm awaiting the arrival of the copy from the clerks office now since it was in Illinois. When I mail this copy to the CRA'S though, will this stay on there with a memo attached or be deleted altogether?  I'm not really sure if they completely delete it. My thing is, they were quick to put it on my CR, never even bothered to communicate with me to say that it even had a court date or that it had been dismissed! This This is so aggravating!

Make sure to send a dispute letter to the CRAs.  Include your report number (or "file number") found on your credit report for each CRA.  Also include a copy of your Driver's License and a current utility bill showing your current address.  They require this, and if you don't send it they will send a letter asking for it and it will delay your dispute.

In my dispute letter, I would say that I am disputing the foreclosure judgement (however it is identified on the credit reports) and state that this action was dismissed and the foreclosure was never completed. I have attached a copy of the dismissal from the court. Please remove from my file.

• Like 1

Update: I mailed off my disputes to the CRA's on Mar 31st. Experian received it on April 5th and yesterday (April 11th) I received a letter in the mail stating they "updated" my CR to reflect the changes. All they did was move the "F" for foreclosure from Jun 2014 to July 2014.  When I had previously called the Sheriffs office, they did  ot have any info to support any foreclosure. They directed me to call the Circuit Clerks office at the Court House, in which my dismissal order for 2-19-13 was the last date there was any info regarding the house address. How is the CRA's reporting a foreclosure in Jun or July when the court house has no record to support that?? Do i now need to send a Method of Validation letter out to figure out why they left the foreclosure on my report?? 

Thank you!! 

Wendy

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 6:06 AM, fisthardcheese said:

Make sure to send a dispute letter to the CRAs.  Include your report number (or "file number") found on your credit report for each CRA.  Also include a copy of your Driver's License and a current utility bill showing your current address.  They require this, and if you don't send it they will send a letter asking for it and it will delay your dispute.

In my dispute letter, I would say that I am disputing the foreclosure judgement (however it is identified on the credit reports) and state that this action was dismissed and the foreclosure was never completed. I have attached a copy of the dismissal from the court. Please remove from my file.

I did as was suggested through this site and what you had said. All TU did was, under the remark Foreclosure, they added redeemed (I didn't redeem it or bring it current, it was dismissed) and moved the "F"  from Jun '14 to Jul '14 (which the Circuit Clerks off'c told me there is nothing on file after my dismissal order 2-19-13) I have yet to receive anything in the mail from them or online, Equifax moved "F" from Jun to Jul '14. On 4-17-17 Experian sent me a letter that said they would not accept my dismissal order stating "We have reviewed the documentation you provided with your dispute, but have determined that we are not able to use it to make the changes or deletions you requested.  We are contacting the furnisher of the information or the vendor who collected the information from a public source. When we complete our processing of your dispute, which may take up to 30 days, we will send you the results."  I received a letter today 4-25-17 that says my outcome was --updated. Nothing was removed and on the copy of my report  they sent back, it states under Status: This item was updated from our processing of your dispute in Apr 2017. But absolutely nothing was changed.

Do you have any advice on what I can do from here? I don't want them to mark this as frivolous but I feel something should be done.  Something I'm very curious about is, can a foreclosure be completed without going through the sheriffs office or Court House? All 3 are marking this as a foreclosure for Jun or Jul 2014 yet I cannot find any record of that when I call the Court House.. I have not a clue how to resolve this, if I even can.. Thank You so much for your replies!!!

Wendy

I would call a few consumer attorneys who do FCRA work in your area.  They should all offer a free consultation.  Tell them what is being reported and that you disputed it.  See what they say.  One of them may want to take your case on contengency.

If your foreclosure was dismissed, you should be able to get a copy of the dismissal from the court.  If you get that document, that should be enough proof to sue all 3 CRAs which could end up with removing it from your reports plus some cash awarded to you.  But you would need the copy of dismissal from the court.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Breezymom247 said:

I do have a copy and I included it with my dispute that I mailed to each one. 

Good.  Then call some attorneys and let them know you have a copy of the dismissal, that there was no foreclosure, that you disputed the foreclosure with all 3 CRAs but they "verified" it and continue to report it.

• Like 1