Unauthorized Credit Check at the dealership

Jasonblessmey

Last weekend I went to a dealership In Jersey. I had my approval letter from my bank. Before I even went there i called and explained everything to a salesman that I don't want my credit to be checked. I told them I already did everything I'd have to do with my bank. When I got there is told them just like my bank told me "Show them the letter and reference number just they can pull up my approval. The guy took the application he went the room. While I'm sitting there waiting I got 3 inquiries notification email popped up. So I decided to come knock on the door. They told me to sit down they start telling me some stupid thing. Telling me they're checking other banks to see if I could get more money. Because they submitted my application through my bank they don't give enough. I was confused because I talked to my bank before I went there. So he convinced to put more money down. Ok I said i would call my bank. He told me I'm waiting my times. I called the bank regardless come to find out the bank doesn't have anything about me trying to purchase a car. They just saw new application for me from the dealership and the information was not match the one I have on file. I thought they bank was playing games with me. I put him the phone he told he send everything but he pending. She told send the info about the vehicle he said he did. She couldn't understand she asked to put me back on the phone. She told me that whatever the dealer told me make no sense. So I asked to speak with the manager of the bank. She put me on hold and the guy at the dealer was telling I was wasting my times. I just hang up the phone. He told me he would get me approved with his bank. He has connection. He told me go home he would called on Monday he's promised. I hung the phone. I left the dealer, as soon I left the manager from the bank called me back. He asked me for permission to go through my profile. He checked and told me the dealer did a new application with wrong informations. And he looked at my calculations on the profile he said you're good. There is no reason for you not to drive home with the vehicle. That dayou was my lady baby I was late 2hs for the baby shower. I had to take an Uber from NJ to Brooklyn. I was pissed after the bank told me. The manager from the bank told me he would not suggest to do business with them but if I went back them just call and put them on the phone so the can get right. So the next day I sent them an email full of the details and let them know I know what they did was wrong and illegal. I sent that email on Sunday they close Sunday. On Tuesday the whole staffs emailed, text messages,  and calls, voicemail apologize to me and my lady. They told me they will reimburse the fee i paid Uber. They want to come back and get the car. Do I have a case or na?? 

What you told them verbally doesn't matter.  If you filled out a credit application (for ANY reason) then you gave them permission to run your credit.  Try filing a complaint with the state of NY.  MANY car dealerships do this crap because they get kickbacks from the lenders for referring customers to them.  When a consumer comes in with a letter of credit it SHOULD be illegal to run their credit but it isn't.

Since you had already been shopping for a car loan through your own bank, your bank would have already pulled your credit for this type of loan.  The dealer running your credit had no impact on your credit score so you have no actual damages even if it were illegal.

But as @Clydesmom pointed out, you gave them permission in writing via the form in which you gave them your SSN and other personal info.